GM's Barra Bean Counter at it again :(

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
GM is now saying that beginning with the 2023+ Corvette models, they are doing away with the cylinder key lock mechanism for the rear hatch.
For access to the rear hatch, they suggest using any of the three electronic buttons (driver’s side door, key fob, hatch release button) first.
In case there is an issue with the latching mechanism that has seized, or loss of battery voltage,
the only solution for opening it is to use a 3-inch hole-saw and drill into the hatch so that the fasteners holding it closed can be released.

Here is the technical update from GM :

If you need to access the rear compartment on a 2023+ model year Corvette:

Attempt to open the rear hatch /rear compartment using all 3 electrical attempts.
Try the interior switch, the exterior touchpad, and the key fob.
This will electrically command the rear hatch/rear compartment to release.
There is no alternate method to gain access to the rear hatch / rear compartment if these attempts do not work.

The vehicle will have to be damaged in order to open the rear hatch / rear compartment.
See the section later in this document titled, “Accessing the rear hatch / rear compartment with a seized up latch.”

Accessing the rear hatch / rear compartment with a seized up latch:

First, obtain a 3-inch hole saw for the following procedure.

Send the vehicle to a body shop as needed.
Starting at the trailing edge of the rear hatch / rear compartment, measure forward 3 and 1/2".
Make this mark at the centerline of the panel.
This will be the center of the hole that will have to be drilled into the panel.
This will place the pilot hole location right in a portion of the stingray emblem when it has been positioned properly.
Drill a 3" hole through the rear hatch / rear compartment panel.

This will allow the technician to lift the rear panel upwards, and the 3" cut-out portion of the panel will stay attached to the rear latch / striker assembly.
The servicing technician will then have access to the fasteners that hold the latch to the vehicle and can continue servicing the vehicle from there.”

The hatch will then have to be replaced

We’re not exactly sure why this change was made, but most likely it comes down to the cost of the locks and installing them on every C8 Corvette versus the costs to warranty a defective hatch mechanism whenever those issues arise.

Imagine if this happens when the car is out of GM warranty and the total cost to replace the hatch, all for GM to save a few bucks on a lock

Oneball

CCCUK Member
There got to be another way you’d have thought.
Been there, got the t-shirt. Even with a normal lock barrel and button, sometimes you have to get the drill out. 3D8B1A41-E838-4F59-8224-0D1807310AB2.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It is amazing when you think about it. Yes, they will save a bit of money. How much do they pay for the key lock mechanism? Prolly hardly anything. How many will they save? 20k units a year. Is it really worth it. Obviously yes it is. Very petty in my opinion. If you were talking about GM heyday when they were selling 600k impalas a year yes, but not with/on a car that sells 20k units a year.
But as Tesco’s says “every little helps”

Last edited:

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Something to bear in mind
(i) C8 battery is in the front, not the rear,
(ii) There's an emergency mechanical release inside the car for the front hood, so no flat battery risk,
(ii) There's a mechanical keyhole available for the driver's door,
(iii) The former rear hatch keyhole could only be accessed by removing the rear number plate,

I guess this change for 2023 only has any relevance if the electric lock mechanism has failed and, presumably, any hole that needs to be drilled in the car will be concealed when the licence plate is refitted.

You might reasonably ask, "Why not have an available keyhole at the back and a mechanical emergency release in the trunk for driver's door, like C7?
But whether many C7 owners know how to get into their car in an emergency is a fine question! ...bearing in mind that when you need to look at the driver's manual it'll be locked inside the car.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Being that latch switch is electronic it is nowhere near where the latch itself is located so cannot simply drill a small hole behind the license plate

In case people think this was some kind of bad joke,
I found and attached below GM's TSB on process of cutting a 3-inch hole in the engine bay hatch top

latch.jpg

This is where the key switch was located and here is a 2023 C8 and you see is now blank there
Here is where the 3-inch hole has to be drilled in hatch

hole.jpg

Imagine anything from having put a wallet or purse in the trunk area there, latch goes bad and now cannot get hatch open
Or need to service engine as simple as checking or adding oil or fluids
Or engine breaks down, cannot get in to repair the problem, C8 is now stuck if at home, or you're out of town

How about if a HTC model, top is down, latch stops working and now top cannot be put back up
At the least, having to then replace the hatch and what it takes to paint it and hoping the new paint matches the body paint that might be aged.

As mentioned, if this happens after the GM warranty expires, what the owner's total cost will be :(

Attachments

• PIC6461.pdf
    586.3 KB · Views: 11

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Wonder if GM legal will sue the piss out of this dude for taking their copyrighted videos and using as his
content just so he can profit off his Y-tube channel?

He is wrong as saying the 3-inch hole is back on fascia where lock used to be,
clearly, GM states it is the hatch lid that has to be hacked.

In any case, it was dumb in the TSB document to state this hack will damage the car in the process and GM not stating
the reason/purpose for eliminating this emergency hatch latch function

All GM bean counters did is give them lots of free bad press to the buying public, but knowing how Barra hates the Corvette
it does not surprise me of putting out negatives for 2023+ Corvette buyers

And also be stupid, they just told thieves exactly where to drill on outside the car to break into the car with ease.

Jim W

CCCUK Member
This is crazy. I wonder.. if GM are penny pinching, can we buy the parts for a 20-22 model and retrofit them to our 23’s ourselves?

Jim W

CCCUK Member
I just watched the video… Is this mad idea only for North American market cars? Are European and Australian cars included?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
But despite all that, has to be said/acknowledged that "Bean Counters/Accountants" are the best kissers.

Attachments

• Accountants.jpg
    Accountants.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 3

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
In what I can find
Here is the hatch latch within where the trunk space is
See two cables on left side of latch, I assume 1 cable is for the electric motor when using the electronics to release hatch lid
and the other cable when the emergency key existed for 2020-22 C8s ?

The 3-inch hole to be cut would be in the lid right above this latch
Looks like a bitch to get that latch out, we do not know if 2023 has a new latch that would not have the mount for the switch lock or
if wanting to add as older years, had would also have to use the older latch style ?

hatch_latch.jpg

Claims are this is the part of that switch lock consists of that no longer is on any model of the 2023
My question is the feds required a manual pull cable release for the trunk in front, as the claim is a kid could get locked in there and cable needed to
assure, kid could pull that to open trunk
So a kid could also do the same in the rear trunk, so should there also require one for that ?

lock_cylinder.jpg