Gratting Reverse Gear Selection

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
Hi
I'm viewing a 1970 C3 5.7 manual which has difficulty selecting reverse after a long run i.e. when up to operating temperature. It needs a bit more force than normal and grates. Could this simply require a clutch adjustment or is there a history of C3 reverse selection problems?

Roscobbc

As Oneball suggests start with clutch linkage - is there too much free play when pedal at rest (if first gear is ok it should be ok) - perhaps check shifter to reverse gear selector arm........if its the original oem shifter the linkage could be worn.......check to see whether reverse selector arm on gearbox gets full movement and/or its not sloppy on shaft.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Shifter linkage may need adjusting or check the fluid level in the tranny
Also, how old is the fluid ?,
could be after tranny heats up, the condition of fluid is effecting the synchros

antijam

CCCUK Member
The reverse selector rod is short and heavily cranked and is quite close to the exhaust pipe The forward movement of the shifter pulls the reverse actuating arm on the box to engage reverse. If there is wear or maladjustment in the linkage making gear selection marginal when cold, heat from the exhaust could cause distortion and expansion of the rod further reducing travel of the reverse lever. I'd certainly check the linkage for wear and correct adjustment.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi
I'm viewing a 1970 C3 5.7 manual which has difficulty selecting reverse after a long run i.e. when up to operating temperature. It needs a bit more force than normal and grates. Could this simply require a clutch adjustment or is there a history of C3 reverse selection problems?
Exactly the issue I had when I first got my 72, it turned out that the bolt ( or nut) cant remember which ) on the end of the clutch pedal cross shaft was finger tight . the shaft was moving up and down in its mount when the clutch pedal was pushed resulting in lost motion so the pedal wasnt moving the clutch enough causing it to grate. A two minute simple fix luckily. Check this first . 👍good luck