Guidance on potential C3 purchase please.

SFTWend

New user
Seeking some advice please from those that know their Vettes regarding one I've seen coming up at auction that appeals. It's a big block manual last of the chrome bumpers and I love the colour.

Always fancied something like this but know very little about American cars in terms of what to look for and originality. The auction description is brief so I suspect there is little paperwork with the car.

As the car was only imported in 2018 my start point was to do a Carfax check but it doesn't recognise the Chassis No quoted by the auction house (which the auction house have confirmed matches the VS5). So I have no idea whether it's a genuine matching numbers big block or a previous total loss claim etc. etc. There is also an anomaly in that the car is a 1972 model but it's on a G plate (1968/9) for some reason. A google search of the Chassis No shows it was sold in 2018 by a Nevada dealer and described as a 1972 454 manual.

The MOT when imported is fairly clean but the owner didn't get it MOT'd last year.

Have I already learn't enough to keep clear or am I being too cautious? As it was a dry state car can I assume it has a sound chassis and thus limiting potential big bill repairs? The engines last forever right? I'll be able to start the car but obviously can't test drive it.

What would be a reasonable punt figure for a sound but maybe non original big block manual that needs some mechanical refurbishment?

Here's the link;

All guidance gratefully received, thank you.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
You need the engine and gearbox numbers to see if it’s “matching numbers”.

There’s also a plate in the door shut that details the trim/option codes.

I’d want to check the body mounts, birdcage, windscreen frame for rust as well as the chassis.

Roscobbc

Interestingly that number (1Z37W2S506669) should translate as 1972 LS5 454 but the digits 06669 show this 1Z37K2S506669 and manufactured November 6, 1971 - letter K would indicate a base engine,
The auction houses sentence "Fitted with a 454cu (7.4 litre) engine" probably says it all. "Fitted with" in my books means non-original. And that guide price IMHO is way, way too low for a nice 22000 mile big bock C3.

SFTWend

New user
Thanks gents. I've assumed the car has been round the clock (hopefully only once).
I dont mind engine change if guide price reflects this. Be nice if they had put in an earlier year big block rather than the 270bhp 1972 version.

Roscobbc

Nothing wrong performance wise with a '72 onwards spec' engine - all GM engines in '72 had nett HP figures quoted - engines also dropped a point or two in compression ratio due to emission laws - makes thigs a little easier with today fuels..........plenty of things one can do to improve performance......

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Shame we can't see the tach as that may indicate if it's a true BB car and whilst they can be changed it's not easy to do so. I find that a very well optioned car - AC, TILT / TELE, PB, PS and it has its SMOG system which is unusual as they were generally tossed day 2. Paint (Ontario Orange) looks good, glass looks good, gaps are nice, stance is nice and interior wear is minimal. Factory alarm late '71 into '72 and amber lenses are 1972. The pics aren't conclusive but the near front on pic blown up doesn't show any bumps from the hood support bracket rivets which is a clear sign of rust on these. If it checks out as a good rust free car that it's an original low mileage well optioned BB it would be a steal at anything under 30k imho

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Interestingly that number (1Z37W2S506669) should translate as 1972 LS5 454 but the digits 06669 show this 1Z37K2S506669 and manufactured November 6, 1971 - letter K would indicate a base engine,
The auction houses sentence "Fitted with a 454cu (7.4 litre) engine" probably says it all. "Fitted with" in my books means non-original. And that guide price IMHO is way, way too low for a nice 22000 mile big bock C3.

Car was advertised/described in US with that "W"/Big Block VIN. Would I be right in thinking Ross that you found the 06669 on the C3 Registry where its listed with the "K" ?

V

Vetteheadtony

Matching numbers or not and good sound 72 454 is worth a punt near the £23k but nearer the £28k would need to do a bit more checking re engine numbers, it appears to be a 1972 with the amber front indicators and alarm key lock in the rear panel (72 only)

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
It was on Corvette Central website - not definitive mind you......

Thanks Ross. I must be going blind, as had not noticed that In the small font description at the top of the ad, they do describe it as Stingray C3 "SB." See it has sold for £25,200 (click on ad above).

SFTWend

New user
I gave it a look over at the auction. Appeared nice and straight, with a US quality repaint, only spoiled by a scrape to the offside wing. Trim looked fairly fresh but I would guess the steering wheel cover is a clue that it's on 122k rather than 22k miles.

I'd have had a punt but there was absolutely no paperwork with the car other than the VS5, which put me off. If the new owner knows these cars they may well have bought well at £25k including premium.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Based on the photos alone, it looked a nice car - the interor condition was good enough (in the photos!) to imply it might actually be 22k miles - I suspect the wheel cover is as much to do with comfort as wear - it would have a hard, thin, plastic rim. Not a bad deal for someone at £25k, and no issues with VIN in any of my books, NCRS or otherwise.....

Out of interest, what sort of other paperwork might you have been expecting, save a few bills maybe?

Roscobbc

If that was me (buying a car at this sort of value from an auction - (where typically the auction house will have a number of disclaimers) I'd want far more information than what was offer. There is always a reason why a car like this goes to auction...........

SFTWend

New user
My thinking was along these lines Mr Chairman, which is why I contacted this forum for guidance.
Some paperwork showing it had always been a dry state car would have given some comfort over hidden rust issues.
Some maintenance invoices would have given an indication of how well the car had been looked after given you can't test drive at auctions.
Too much of a gamble for me. But as I say, probably a good buy for somebody else.