Hassle of Replacing TPMS

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I had just the right front TPMS go bad on my C5
I replaced all four of them like 10 years ago, but the car is seldom driven
As we know, what happens is the watch type 3 volt battery goes bad
Rumors you could hack the sensor and replace the battery is false as you see below
as the case was designed not to be opened and if you cut it to find the battery is fused in

batt.jpg

Finding the right replacement sensors is a zoo, prices are high and many clone types sold are
junk and take the risk of buying them, going through the hassle of having to go to a tire shop to swap bad ones out, plus the costs

I did find a new one, $80 US :-(

Then to a tire shop to see being my C5 sits very low if the shop could even jack the car up

Added is I had the HRE rims powder coated because of the crap quality of HRE rims, the color had bled out due to brake heat from racing

hre3.jpghre.jpg
In having them powder coated the shop doing this was crap, I told them not to powder coat the center caps that are only 2.6 inches diameter
but they ignored that and baked the caps into the wheels :-(

RebelRwing7.jpg

So I contacted HRE, the fools at first wanted to charge me $100 each ($400) but I bitched, and they reduced to $200
I suspect they pay like $10 each, so I told them to stick it

HREcosts.jpg

I went to 2 tire shops, both refused to simply change the TPMS as they say federal law is if tire is more than 6 years old
they cannot work on the tires even though they have low mileage on them and plenty of thread depth

Went to a third shop and they dd not blink in doing the swap and only charged me $15 for doing so

Due to finding a correct sensor, the total costs, it may be best to find someone with a Tech-II and turn TPMS off in the BCM
If not then as long as 1 sensor is bad every time car is started a service TPMS warning pops up on DIC and you have
to push rest every time which is a hassle

Now that I know the brand of sensor I bought works with my C5, being one lost battery voltage the other 3 are close
to also fail and decide to buy 3 more or turn TPMS off in the BCM

Stingray

CCCUK Member
TPMS and key fob replacement can be particularly tricky for European owners because the radio frequency the work on is different from North America cars.