Headlamp motor

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
I thought I had the usual headlamp judder problem, like I had with my previous C4. You know, the head lamp judder when raising and lowering. Usually it's that feeble plastic part that has worn. Anyway, I took the car to the garage where previously that was sorted, around £20 for labour and the 50p for the part. Not this time, on this occasion the problem was the motor casing and bracket had cracked, so a new motor was needed, £95 from Rock Auto. When this was sorted, the guy also noticed the other headlamp was juddering slightly too, this was just the silly pltic bit. Right, so the main point to this post. When the mechanic was removing the first headlamp, he noticed the main bolt (this is the easy to get to one at the bottom of the motor unit) was actually loose, and this was what probably caused the cracking problem, as the whole thing was being twisted whe operated. When he did the other headlamp, the same main bolt was also loose, so lucky it was caught in time. He agrees with me, a tip for the future would be to check these two bolts now and again, to prevent the same issue recurring, and also save a fair bit of money too!

Rich

Administrator
Thanks for posting, Mick. I will bring it to the attention of our Editor for a possible mention it in the next Vette News?

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Thanks Rich, hopefully I will have a C4 article in next month's, sent it in after seeing the request for such in this month's Vette News👍

Ray Quayle

CCCUK Member
Mick,
You must have missed that post I had last year where I was selling a pair of motors from a ‘96. I sold the pair for £60. I’ve got a pair of window regulator motors from that ‘96 if you ever need those.(y)

JonnyC4

CCCUK Member
Never had a problem with it and just checked the bolts and they were still well in place after I've changed the gears with brass ones.