Headlight upgrade?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
How many Watts are those?
The outer dipped beam units are 60 Watt each and the inner units are 37.5 Watt each . So on full beam with all 4 on I have a total draw of 195 Watts . After prolonged use of full beam the thermal cut out cannot cope . I think I too will look into a Zenon upgrade after the unfestive season is over !

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
What would be really nice is if we can find some nice LED headlight bulbs for our cars.

After a quick Google, you can:
Phillips LED H4 Bulbs
So all you need to do is get the H4 conversion bulb kits as listed by someone else above, and then shove LED bulbs in it. The ones I linked are 21w bulbs and cost a fortune. I did notice there are some much cheaper ones out there, but the ones I saw seemed to be rated around 80w, which is quite odd for LEDs.

Dunno if the rated Lumens level would be ok, but a quick comparison to an Osram normal 55w H4 bulb and it seems comparable.

Roscobbc

I think we need to make sure we all are looking at 'like for like' when discussing Xenon 'replacement' bulbs. 'Replacement' being as in replacing older tungsten
bulbs
or the more recent Halogen bulbs. We need the Xenon filled 'replacement' bulbs NOT Xenon HID bulbs which are a totally different animal, being far more expensive and requiring specific control gear to operate. Searching on-line may cause confusion......

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Ahhh... my bad. I must confess when you mentioned Xenon I did think you meant HID bulbs. In which case ignore my comments earlier about upgrading another car to Xenon bulbs, as that was Xenon HID bulbs.

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
I think we need to make sure we all are looking at 'like for like' when discussing Xenon 'replacement' bulbs. 'Replacement' being as in replacing older tungsten
bulbs
or the more recent Halogen bulbs. We need the Xenon filled 'replacement' bulbs NOT Xenon HID bulbs which are a totally different animal, being far more expensive and requiring specific control gear to operate. Searching on-line may cause confusion......
Thanks for getting this thread back on track Ross
I think people were getting confused between XENON and HIDS.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
bulbs

Are your bulbs something like these Ross?

E4F3A28A-C89F-4D53-8CA1-7BA1992643D0.png

There are some cheaper high performance H4 non xenon like these that look They would be a good improvement........

B1EDB433-850D-4CEB-8564-690652C9539C.png

Roscobbc

TBH Andy I can't remember (I installed them probably 10+ years ago). I do remember that they were slightly less current consumption than the typical tungsten filament (or halogen) available at that time. There were more powerful bulbs available but not EU compliant. Bottom line was that I also replaced all four reflectors to get best optics available. The bulbs even though slightly higher output than the tungsten bulbs that would have been fitted from new (37 watt dip) they did not create any issues with electrics (can't guarrantee it would be the same for others though.....)

Last edited: