Heater hose routing from Water pump

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Can someone please post a photo of the routing for the water pump heater hose?. I have just replaced the wp on my 350 and discovered that the heater hose has become chafed through. The routing from the water pump across before it goes rearwards takes it very near to the bracket supporting the A/C pump. Should it route in front of the A/C compressor mounting, underneath between the bracket and the suspension or behind between the bracket and the block above the exhaust manifold? Its obviously been chafed through before as there is an inline hose joint under the radiator expansion tank as the hose goes rearwards.

Thanks

johng

CCCUK Member
This is the only photo I've got, it shows how the hose went when I bought the car (can't guarantee it's correct!). I've now removed the A/C so don't need to worry about the routing.

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Alben78,
a screenshot of the relevant page in yours would be helpful. Although I doubt such mundane things are unambiguously specified.

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Johng, that is helpful thanks. I have ascertained at least it doesn't route in front of the A/C compressor on mine as it fouls on the A/C drive belt.

Alben78

Well-known user
Sorry now sold along with car. The assembly manual is totally precise on the manufacturing assembly method to be employed, even gives routing and clearances for most pipe work. Maybe somebody else has a copy they could post?

antijam

CCCUK Member
This is the relevant sheet from my '71 Assembly Manual...
Image-001.jpg

....though not sure how useful it is since it doesn't show the aircon.

Alben78

Well-known user
Not sure if this helps this was the ‘78 L48 which has the later air con compressor. The heater pipe runs from the water pump to the rear of the compressor and over the rocker cover.7A3BF418-CE4F-452D-A11C-4BC1C87EFF83.jpeg

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Alben78,

that looks identical to my set up .
IMG_1968.JPG

the return heater pipe runs from this join below the compressor,
IMG_1967.JPGIMG_1968.JPG

to the waterpump
IMG_1966.JPG

and looks like it should go UNDER the compressor mounting bracket

IMG_1965.JPG
through that gap!

Last edited:

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Alben79.jpg
There looks like a forth hose under these 3? The top one is to A/C pump, one under from the rad to expansion tank, the next dne down to the top of the block (heater) and is there another below those.? That would be the one that routes under the A/C pump as you don't have a metal one as Corvettekindom was explaining and the one I@m interested in going to the water pump above the bottom rad hose connection.......

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Alben78,
So yes, that looks like it , the hose that runs up UNDER the compressor bracket (the blue and spotty hose!). Will route it that way thanks.

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
heater hose.png

mine has an inline joiner at position //. obviously chafed through before but at least I'm aware of the problem now!!, Thanks everyone for your help.