High power alternator options?

Dazaa

Well-known user
I've got a 105amp alternator on my 350 but I don't think it will be enough to power a sniper efi, dual electric fans, vintage air AC kit, Dakota Digital gauges, MSD 6A along with, power windows, power locks and electric headlight motors. On the plus side LED front, rear and interior courtesy lights along with the dash bulbs being removed so a little reduction in current draw. It seems like 180amp alternators are easy to find in the states but nothing above 110 here without paying crazy money. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Dellb

CCCUK Member
I have a 110 amp alternator on my 1980 C3. My load is
Twin electric cooling fans,
Factory AC
All the normal 1980 electric kit,
Halogen headlights
LED lighting in strategic locations, ( brake and rear indicators,
all instrument lighting) I did not go mad on LED lighting. I also have two modifications.
1. I power the headlights direct from the back of the alternator through switch operated relays.
2. I power the fans from the back of the alternator to reduce losses.

when driving in traffic with both fans powered, AC on, I put the headlights on, and was still getting a + charge on the instrument, so so far so good.
Hope that helps.

Delb

Dellb

CCCUK Member
A couple of points I forgot to mention.
I ran an additional large cable from the alternator to the starter connection to share the charge current.

I have had to ensure that I have a ballast resistor on my distributor, because I noticed the voltage under light load was up to 14V.

Dazaa

Well-known user
Interesting. How long have you been running it like this? I guess the radio is just stock?

Dellb

CCCUK Member
I have spent 3 years doing a full restoration. I have been running like this for a year. The radio is a Vintage radio which is an exact replica of the radio for her year, but with modern electronics inc Bluetooth.