Historic MOT clarification please

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
If a Vette has Historic Classification as far as Road Tax is concerned, is it automatically exempt from the annual MOT test (providing certain changes have not been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years) or is there a separate Form that should be completed in respect of the MOT status itself?

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
If a Vette has Historic Classification as far as Road Tax is concerned, is it automatically exempt from the annual MOT test (providing certain changes have not been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years) or is there a separate Form that should be completed in respect of the MOT status itself?
I believe you have to apply for each individually. Nothing is automatically done by DVLA. I have not exempted mine for MOT as I think it's best to get an annual check. This still means it can fail! I applied for VED exemption & it takes the normal form of renewal, but with nothing to pay. If you do not do this the plods will nick you.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I believe you have to apply for each individually. Nothing is automatically done by DVLA. I have not exempted mine for MOT as I think it's best to get an annual check. This still means it can fail! I applied for VED exemption & it takes the normal form of renewal, but with nothing to pay. If you do not do this the plods will nick you.
Cheers - Just sorted - For MOT exemption; need a V112 Form and select category "R" for an Historic vehicle - done and dusted cheers.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
If your car is tax exempt - Quote: "you do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year"
Unless the vehicle has been substantially modified
Why get an MOT Steve? Surely just ask your mechanic to give it a thorough check end to end as and when :unsure:

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
If your car is tax exempt - Quote: "you do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year"
Why get an MOT Steve? Surely just ask your mechanic to give it a thorough check end to end as and when :unsure:
Well two things really, Firstly I think it may help with future sales & value, as you have a piece of paper. Secondly my wife won't go in it without! Hahahaha LOL!!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user

Hi Bill that is great, I scoured the .Gov pages but missed the above, thank you..

Reason to carry on with the MOT is for the Insurance, not that they necessarily require it, but it puts you in a slightly better position if you need to make a claim and have a challenging situation over the value of the vehicle, in particular if the vehicle can not be viewed, due to being stolen or subject to severe fire damage - a bit of belt and braces really..

phild

CCCUK Member
Hi Bill that is great, I scoured the .Gov pages but missed the above, thank you..

Reason to carry on with the MOT is for the Insurance, not that they necessarily require it, but it puts you in a slightly better position if you need to make a claim and have a challenging situation over the value of the vehicle, in particular if the vehicle can not be viewed, due to being stolen or subject to severe fire damage - a bit of belt and braces really..
I always MoT for the reasons already posted and also cheap peace of mind. Also as a buyer, if I view a potential purchase in similar condition and price and one has a history with an MoT record and the other doesn't guess which one I'll buy. :)

Redlevel

Well-known user
As a car has to be 'roadworthy', how does mot exemption feature with insurers? Surely this could be a minefield for them?
I can understand the convenience to mot when you feel like it, but as few of us get to really scope the underside of our cars, I feel that alone is worth doing.
When I bought my '87, one of the first things I did was to get it on a ramp and take lots of images to keep as a record of what it looked like and possible future problem areas.