Hood release

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Been suffering that stupid hood release (or wont release) problem. Saw loads of 'simple' solutions on YouTube, none of which were in the least bit simple. Managed at last today to get it to open after an hour of grunting and groaning. Strange thing is, once opened, the release mechanism seemed absolutely fine, nothing catching, bowden cable operating really smoothly, the catches moving back and forth unhindered. Anyway I decided to fit a simple fix in the event this happens again, as shown in the attached pics. I attached the wires to the side of the bowden cable connector, ensuring it didn't foul anywhere, and ran the wire thru to the easy to access part by the door, as shown in the second pic. Closing the hood I can easily access the wire, and manoeuvre it over the wiper (pic 1) to enable a straight pull to operate the catch. However, Corvettes being Corvettes, although the attached wire operated the catches perfectly, hood open, when shut the really simple and clever fix will not operate. I can find no reason why and have spent ages opening and closing using the normal release handle, which for now works perfectly, but the attached wires just wont operate the catches with it shut. Anybody know why this could be? As I post this, no doubt the release mechanism is already plotting against me!!

Attachments

• Hood release 1.jpg
    Hood release 1.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Hood release 2.jpg
    Hood release 2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 19

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
That's bizarre as I have done the same thing and it works perfectly every time.
I used a thin wire rope, with a straight pull.
The only thing I can see that's different is where you have attached to the release mechanism with a knot where I have used a small ferrel, electric terminal block cut in half.
Could the thickness of your wire and knot be jamming when hood shut ?
Also I have attached the wire to the release mechanism further out giving more leverage.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Looking closer at your pictures I definitely think the problem is with the knot that attaches to the release mechanism, when the hood is closed I think the latching "pin" is jamming the knot into the hole under it stopping it from working.
Try connecting your wire at the end of the mechanisms, gaining more leverage, terminating it with a small crimp or connector.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
The weak point for the hood release is the lever under the dash where the two cables attach to it, the cables are held in place by a plastic "clip" this deforms and prevents the inner cable from opening the hood.
I reinforced the worn "clip" in my C4 with a thin piece of metal sheet cut and shaped to fit over the "clip".

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
The weak point for the hood release is the lever under the dash where the two cables attach to it, the cables are held in place by a plastic "clip" this deforms and prevents the inner cable from opening the hood.
I reinforced the worn "clip" in my C4 with a thin piece of metal sheet cut and shaped to fit over the "clip".
The saga continues, as you can see here I did as Steven suggested, works perfectly when hood open, close it....just will not operate, luckily. for now, each time the normal release catch is working, but for how long? I cannot figure out why, when the hood is closed and locked, this 'simple' fix just will not operate, yet moved smoothly to operate the catch when open. I could understand if the catches were jamming too, but as I said, for now, the normal release mechanism is working. It's probably just another Corvette-ism!

Attachments

• Hood release 1.jpg
    Hood release 1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Hood release 2.jpg
    Hood release 2.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 8

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
That's bizarre, and no different to my set up except I have more grease in the lock 🤷.
Have you checked the alignment of the lock and latch pin ?
With the hood shut and resting on the locks, but not pushed down, check to see if the latch pin and lock are aligned correctly, adjustment can be made on the latch pin so they align perfectly, also apply some grease to the lock, other than that I can't think of anything else that would prevent it from working.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Another thing to try if the above still doesn't work.
Mark the position of the latch pin on the hood and then remove it.
Then you can push it into the lock and see exactly why its not working when locked shut as you will have good access all around the lock.
As you marked it before removal you can refit back into same position.
Hope that helps, keep us informed 🤞👍

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
What I don't get is why it moves freely using the 'emergency ' cable, hood open, but will not operate hood closed, yet, for now, the normal mechanism works open or closed. The second cable definitely not catching anywhere, nor the end beside the original, both sitting at the same height.
I also tried this, holding the latch open ysing the emergency cable, close the hood, then release the cable, latch locks correctly, but operate the cable, it will not release the latch.
Makes no sense.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The normal system is a lever so it greatly increases the force you can apply to the cable. Your emergency system is probably stiff as the latch binds on the pin.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
What I don't get is why it moves freely using the 'emergency ' cable, hood open, but will not operate hood closed, yet, for now, the normal mechanism works open or closed. The second cable definitely not catching anywhere, nor the end beside the original, both sitting at the same height.
I also tried this, holding the latch open ysing the emergency cable, close the hood, then release the cable, latch locks correctly, but operate the cable, it will not release the latch.
Makes no sense.
Try taking the latch off as mentioned, at least that way you should be able to see exactly what is happening.
I follow this channel on YouTube:
https://youtube.com/@jerrspudin his latest episode he has a very similar issue and it's the hood / lock alignment

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Been suffering that stupid hood release (or wont release) problem. Saw loads of 'simple' solutions on YouTube, none of which were in the least bit simple. Managed at last today to get it to open after an hour of grunting and groaning. Strange thing is, once opened, the release mechanism seemed absolutely fine, nothing catching, bowden cable operating really smoothly, the catches moving back and forth unhindered. Anyway I decided to fit a simple fix in the event this happens again, as shown in the attached pics. I attached the wires to the side of the bowden cable connector, ensuring it didn't foul anywhere, and ran the wire thru to the easy to access part by the door, as shown in the second pic. Closing the hood I can easily access the wire, and manoeuvre it over the wiper (pic 1) to enable a straight pull to operate the catch. However, Corvettes being Corvettes, although the attached wire operated the catches perfectly, hood open, when shut the really simple and clever fix will not operate. I can find no reason why and have spent ages opening and closing using the normal release handle, which for now works perfectly, but the attached wires just wont operate the catches with it shut. Anybody know why this could be? As I post this, no doubt the release mechanism is already plotting against me!!
cant be much help in advising how to fix it but, when you do, try this little hack ,… when I had my 72 sent over from the usa, the first few weeks were spent exploring all the systems and nooks and cranniesand just finding my way around the car. After a few months I was trying to track down another one of several little rattles , I was trying to tighten up a loose side fender vent when I stumbled across a plastic T shaped hood pull handle, hanging from the hood release lever to just inside the drivers side frame rail. The Previous owner when he did the restoration had fitted this in case of a snapped release cable or other issue. You just reach underneath the fender, locate the dangly handle and you can open your hood . I guess he had suffered your problem in the past and decided to address it . 👍good luck.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
cant be much help in advising how to fix it but, when you do, try this little hack ,… when I had my 72 sent over from the usa, the first few weeks were spent exploring all the systems and nooks and cranniesand just finding my way around the car. After a few months I was trying to track down another one of several little rattles , I was trying to tighten up a loose side fender vent when I stumbled across a plastic T shaped hood pull handle, hanging from the hood release lever to just inside the drivers side frame rail. The Previous owner when he did the restoration had fitted this in case of a snapped release cable or other issue. You just reach underneath the fender, locate the dangly handle and you can open your hood . I guess he had suffered your problem in the past and decided to address it . 👍good luck.
Oops, just noticed yours is a C4 nick, mine is a C3, but can probably do something similar.