I Heard Your Roads are Bad - But

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Don`t need to do that to mine now as they have finally just completed resurfacing the 9 miles of the A5 between the workshops and where I live . Being the Watling Street the Romans built the entire lot in half the time !!!

Roscobbc

Don`t need to do that to mine now as they have finally just completed resurfacing the 9 miles of the A5 between the workshops and where I live . Being the Watling Street the Romans built the entire lot in half the time !!!
And it has lasted hundreds of years with many, many times the density of traffic ever envisioned by Julius and his cohorts!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
And it has lasted hundreds of years with many, many times the density of traffic ever envisioned by Julius and his cohorts!
One of the worst sections and the last to repaired was the streatch near the Cuttle Mill and the village of Potterspury . Historians believe this was the site of one of Boudicca`s battles with the Roman army . She would have shook her chariot to bits if the road surface had been that bad back in her day !!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Over the weekend I drove down to Okehampton on the backroads - mix of "B" and "A" roads, but mostly "B". These aren't the tiny "B", but actually have two lanes, one for each way, and the white line down the middle.
Anyway, part of my route was Bampton to Tiverton to Crediton (most of it "A" roads there). By golly do they need to resurface those roads. It was pretty horrendous and most of the time it felt like I was on a slalom course.
That car sticker of "I'm not drunk officer, I'm avoiding potholes" might have been done the rounds for amusement, but I need one on my car as it was completely true in this case.

I also laughed at one point as I drove along when my wife randomly said "I need to adjust my bra as it feels a bit loose" ...... and then I remembered that some people having been putting up signs like this by potholes: "Remove dentures. Adjust bra straps. Secure your nuts. Welcome to the worst maintained road in the county."

antijam

CCCUK Member
Years ago we used to scorn the french for the atrocious state of most of their roads, these days the boot is on the other foot. Interestingly the difference between the french and british attitudes to driving bad roads is that while we say "what a lousy road", the french say "what a lousy car". ;)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Years ago we used to scorn the french for the atrocious state of most of their roads, these days the boot is on the other foot. Interestingly the difference between the french and british attitudes to driving bad roads is that while we say "what a lousy road", the french say "what a lousy car". ;)
We should all get rid of our Corvettes and buy 2CV`s . :LOL:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Actually I have a better idea . We should all move to Wales where the quality of their roads have been nigh on perfect for years . Even remote single track mountain roads . The very minute you cross the borders on any roads out of Wales you bang a crash out all over the place . Having said that , the drive up the A6003 in the Vette yesterday via Rockingham and Uppingham to the Classic Car Show in Oakham was an absolute joy . Newly resurfaced all over most of the way with fast sweeping bends and up and down hills with views for miles across Rutland and Leicestershire . Not like the repairs on the A5 near me which was done by the American Indians . Apache here , Apache there !!!

Roscobbc

Actually I have a better idea . We should all move to Wales where the quality of their roads have been nigh on perfect for years . Even remote single track mountain roads . The very minute you cross the borders on any roads out of Wales you bang a crash out all over the place . Having said that , the drive up the A6003 in the Vette yesterday via Rockingham and Uppingham to the Classic Car Show in Oakham was an absolute joy . Newly resurfaced all over most of the way with fast sweeping bends and up and down hills with views for miles across Rutland and Leicestershire . Not like the repairs on the A5 near me which was done by the American Indians . Apache here , Apache there !!!
The Welsh 'government' seems to have a certain 'expertise' in its abilities to manipulate HMG to fund any hare brained investment, development or scheme to employ the unemployed and unemployable......perhaps also for refurbishment of roads that rarely go anywhere of significance........wonder how Aston Martin's move to the totally non-automotive related area in St Asaph, North Wales (to build Chelsea tractors) went...........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The Welsh 'government' seems to have a certain 'expertise' in its abilities to manipulate HMG to fund any hare brained investment, development or scheme to employ the unemployed and unemployable......perhaps also for refurbishment of roads that rarely go anywhere of significance........wonder how Aston Martin's move to the totally non-automotive related area in St Asaph, North Wales (to build Chelsea tractors) went...........
If you can get away with it , do it I say . (y)