IMSA at long Beach this weekend

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Ahead of season’s first street circuit after bizarre finish one year ago…

Corvette Racing’s Jordan Taylor participated in a media availability Wednesday to preview next week’s Acura Sports Car Challenge for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at the Long Beach street circuit.
Taylor and teammate Antonio Garcia will look to better their third-place finish last year in the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R:

PREVIEWING THIS YEAR’S RACE AND FIRST SPRINT EVENT OF THE SEASON.

“It’s always nice to go back to Long Beach. It’s the first sprint race of the year. We’ve settled in with Daytona and Sebring with endurance races, and the end of those races gets pretty intense. But Long Beach, the whole event is intense, right from the start with practice. Last year we had a great car.

We were on the pole and led for the whole first stint and then had a that crazy fluke incident on pitlane which kind of put us out of contention for the win. It would be nice to go back there and be as competitive as we were and execute as well as we did last year.
Having a year under our belt with this car and this class, we learned a lot throughout last season that already has been beneficial this year. I’m looking forward to getting back there and seeing what we learned throughout 2022 and be able to put that to good use once the sprint races start.”

HOW HAS THE CORVETTE EVOLVED AFTER A YEAR IN GTD PRO?

“The car last year honestly was great to drive all year. We’d leave sessions and be nitpicking things to work on here and there little bit of understeer, little bit of oversteer. We were just off the pace.
It was hard to kind of exploit the pace of the car without taking huge measures.
At some tracks we went to, we had big setup swings to try things, but for the most part it never really worked. I feel like we have our car in a great working window.
It was competitive in GTLM (GT Le Mans); last year we had some competitive weekends but it depends on the track and the event to where we stack up.

We still do a lot of work in the simulator prepping for each event. We always go into the weekends with a strong car. We saw last year that we’d go in with our sim setup and we’d be pretty much right in the window of where we wanted to be. Last year at Long Beach we had a great car there.
We were on pole and led the whole first stint. When things are going well, they’re going very well.

Last year we put ourselves in a lot of positions to win races. At Watkins Glen we were leading up until the last couple of stops and things out of our control put us out of contention. I have a lot of confidence going to Long Beach. We had a good car last year and have made strides since then.
We should be right at the front of the pack.”

LOOKING AT THE VARIOUS CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CARS IN GTD PRO, WHERE IS THE STIFFEST COMPETITION?

“The Porsche got a pretty big change for Sebring, and they were obviously super-fast. In Practice One, the GTD car was fastest overall and the 9 car never really showed speed until when it needed to.
So I feel like they’ve got some stuff in-hand to show when they need to. The Mercedes was strong all year last year, so I’m sure they’ll be strong now that they have two proper pros in the car for the sprint races. When you look at Sebring and Daytona, a lot of different cars were competitive so our eyes are on everybody at this point.”

THE GTD AND GTD PRO CARS ARE MIXED A LOT ON-TRACK. HOW DOES THAT IMPACT YOUR FOCUS AND STRATEGY?

“Not everyone is like Bill (Auberlen, a pro driver) in that class. Most of the guys don’t move out of the way that nicely. It’s the same thing Bill said if there’s a guy in between you and someone you’re battling against, you’re going to fight that guy pretty hard just to have that buffer in-hand.
We saw at the end of the Rolex 24 where there was GTD PRO, then GTD, then GTD PRO again.

That kind of separates the race especially on those last restarts where it’s going to be difficult to see a proper battle in your own class. At the end of Sebring, we got hit by a GTD car going into Turn Seven on the last restart and put us out of contention. It’s difficult when you put everyone in the same situation without a class split, but it’s just the way things are right now.”

PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCES IN BEING OVERTAKEN BY GTP CARS THIS YEAR VERSUS DPI CARS A YEAR AGO?

“It’s much different. The way they make speed seems different. They come by you a bit quicker on the straights and then their cornering speeds – especially in the medium-speed corners is quite a bit lower than back in the DPi days. At Sebring, I had a BMW come by me and it must have been on a double-stint on the tires.
It passed me into 15 and was so slow at apex that I was actually able to drive back around him.
It’s a much different car, it seems, for them to learn and adapt to. It makes the style of racing a bit different because now in GT, we know that they struggle on second-stint tires and it will put us in a position to probably want to be a little more defensive in those sorts of spots to not lose laptime when they go by us. It’s definitely a learning process.

They come by you a lot quicker in the straights like at Daytona before the Kink and out of the Kink.
They’d arrive much quicker and when you wouldn’t expect it from years past in a DPi. When we go to different tracks, it’s going to be learning where those places are, and where they can get by us and where they can’t compared to what it was like back in DPi.”

AFTER YOUR CUP PERFORMANCE AT COTA AND THINKING ABOUT A STREET RACE FOR CUP GUYS AT CHICAGO,
HOW MANY TRIES WILL IT TAKE FOR THEM TO GET A CHECKERED FLAG?

“If it’s anything like COTA, they won’t have much green-flag running!
When I got out of the car, Ricky (Taylor) was the first person I saw, and I was like, ‘Holy cow. That was ridiculous, what that was like on those last restarts just getting beaten around.’ I was glad to see that at least everyone else had same opinion, even in the paddock, saying that it was an especially aggressive finish to the race.
I think it was a bit of wake-up call for a lot of the regulars to start thinking about it.
Having those guys never been to a street course race and how strong those cars are, I think they’re going to be bouncing off the walls and probably doing more damage to the barriers than the cars themselves.”

WITH THE NEW GTP CARS A BIT BIGGER AND BEING SLOWER THROUGH THE CORNERS,
DO YOU ANTICIPATE HAVING BEING A LITTLE MORE AGGRESSIVE IN TAKING THE LINE AWAY BEFORE YOU GET TO A CORNER?

“I think so. We saw at Sebring that if you got passed in the wrong spot, you’d lose quite a bit of time. At Long Beach, especially, if they get by you at Turn One and they can’t really get away from you all the way through Four or Five, it could be a pretty big loss. I’m sure you’ll see guys getting pretty aggressive. Now there are also a lot of new drivers in GTP that are young and hungry to show what they can do.

At Sebring and Daytona, some of those guys would come by you and were pretty aggressive even in endurance races and taking a line away from GT cars kind of unknowingly. We need to be a little more proactive in showing some of those guys our intentions as well entering the corner.
For sure, I think you’ll see a lot of the guys near the front of the GT pack being especially aggressive, especially late in the runs, when those guys are on used tires.”

With its two longest races of the season in the rear-view mirror, Corvette Racing now faces its shortest contest of the
season as it heads west to southern California for its only street race of the season.

The Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach is an intense 100-minute dash for the Corvette Racing program and the rest of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar
Championship. It’s an event that the team has won more than another team in series history four times since 2014 to go along with four more victories in the American Le Mans Series era from 2007-2013.

The familiar pairing of Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor will pilot the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R in the GT Daytona (GTD) PRO class.
The two finished third in last year’s Long Beach race the first street race for the GTD-spec C8.R despite a bizarre pitlane incident that took the Corvette out of contention for the victory.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Taylor was the class pole-winner after a last-lap flyer and led the entirety of his first stint.
A loose wheel nut during the pit stop escaped the Corvette pit, hit a stone and flew into the radiator of another car, a one-in-a-million occurrence that unfortunately netted the Corvette a drive-through penalty.

Aside from that round of bad luck, there is reason to be confident again.
Corvette Racing has a full year of data on the GTD-spec configuration, most notably the customer Michelin tire that all GTD teams must run in IMSA competition. Simulation tools aided the team’s preparation last year, and expectations are that 12 more months of work in the virtual world plus sessions in the Chevrolet Driver in the Loop simulator will put the C8.R in contention again.

The results through the first two races are encouraging for this weekend.
Garcia and Taylor along with Tommy Milner finished second in class to open the season in the Rolex 24 and ran out front most of the Sebring 12 Hours before late-race contact and on-track chaos meant a fifth-place result.

The Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. ET / 2:05 p.m. PT on Saturday, April 15.
The race will air live on the USA Network from 5-7 p.m. ET with full streaming coverage on Peacock. IMSA Radio will air qualifying and the race at IMSA.com along with Sirius 217, XM 207 and SiriusXM Online 992.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“It’s been a long time since I’ve won at Long Beach. I feel like I’ve been through more ways of losing this race than winning it! There was a crash in the Hairpin that blocked the track one year, I had a shifting issue on the restart another and then last year with the wheel nut coming off in pitlane and going into another car
I’m ready for one normal year!
But this is a fun event that is very unique. The fans are great and there are so many that come to watch us race. I hope we can give them a good show and finally another win for the 3 Corvette. We are due for it.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“It’s always nice to go back to Long Beach. It’s the first sprint race of the year.
We’ve settled in with Daytona and Sebring with endurance races, and the end of those races gets pretty intense. But Long Beach, the whole event is intense, right from the start with practice. Last year we had a great car.

We were on the pole and led for the whole first stint and then had a that crazy fluke incident on pitlane which kind of put us out of contention for the win. It would be nice to go back there and be as competitive as we were and execute as well as we did last year.
Having a year under our belt with this car and this class, we learned a lot throughout last season that already has been beneficial this year.”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
1st practice completed

Filipe Albuquerque predicted that Acura had closed the gap to Cadillac on the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship’s rougher circuits such, and he and co-driver Ricky Taylor delivered solid evidence that he was correct during the first practice session for the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach.

As the GTP cars are getting their first experience on the 1.968-mile, 11-turn temporary street circuit, Taylor snatched the fast time from Albuquerque late in the hour-long session, then lowered it several times, finally setting a 1m11.942s lap on his final circuit in the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing with Andretti Autosport ARX-06. Tom Blomqvist was second in the other ARX-06, the No. 60 entry from Meyer Shank Racing with Curb Agajanian, with a 0.858s margin to Taylor.

The two Porsche Penske Motorsports 963s were next, Mathieu Jaminet setting the third-quickest time at 1m13.550s in the No. 6, with Augusto Farfus completing the top five in the No. 24 BMW M Team RLL M Hybrid V8. Outside of Taylor’s stellar lap, second through sixth (Pipo Derani, No. 31 Action Express Racing Cadillac V-Series.R) were covered by a second.

Defending Long Beach GTD PRO winners Heart of Racing topped that class, Alex Riberas turning a 1m19.303s lap in the No. 23 Aston Martin Vantage GT3. Jack Hawksworth was only 0.71s shy in the No. 14 Vasser Sullivan Lexus RC F GT3. With a 1m19.660s lap,

C8.Rs Jordan Taylor was third with a time that put him behind the first GTD entry, as 19 GT cars were covered by one second.

omsap1.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
2nd practice completed
Qualify at 8:15 ET tonight

Tom Blomqvist improved on Ricky Taylor’s pace-setting lap from the morning to go quickest in second practice for Saturday’s Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach.
The Meyer Shank Racing driver stormed to a best time of 1:10.391, in another 1-2 sweep for the pair of Acura ARX-06 GTP class cars.
Blomqvist’s time was 0.323 seconds faster than the No. 1o Wayne Taylor Racing with Andretti Autosport Acura of Filipe Albuquerque, with Nick Yelloly putting the No. 25 Team RLL BMW M Hybrid V8 third on the overall time charts.

The No. 31 Action Express Racing Cadillac V-Series.R of Alexander Sims completed the top-five, followed by the No. 24 BMW in sixth.
Penske’s two Porsche 963s were sixth and seventh, ahead of the defending race-winning No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing entry of Renger van der Zande.
The Dutchman brought out the session’s only red flag after stalling in the Turn 9 runoff. It was one of nearly a dozen brake lock-ups from the GTP cars in the session.

A late-session improvement by Jack Hawksworth saw the No. 14 Vasser Sullivan Lexus RC F GT3 top the GTD Pro ranks.
Hawksworth’s 1:17.876 lap was 0.424 seconds quicker than the second-placed No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R of Patrick Pilet.

Antonio Garcia was third in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R GTD, followed by Ross Gunn’s No. 23 The Heart of Racing Aston Martin Vantage GT3.
Racers Edge Motorsports with WTR Andretti led the GTD ranks with Mario Farnbacher’s 1:18.516 in the No. 93 Acura NSX GT3 Evo22.

imsap2.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Qualify completed and how the cars will start the Long Beach Street race at 5 PM ET Tomorrow (Saturday)

Marco Sorensen powered his way to the pole in GTD, outpacing the five GTD Pro class entries in the process.

The Heart of Racing driver recorded a best lap of 1:17.811 in the No. 27 Aston Martin Vantage GT3 to edge out the GTD Pro pole-sitting No. 14 Vasser Sullivan Lexus RC F GT3 of Jack Hawksworth by 0.006 seconds.

Both times were new qualifying track records for their respective classes.
Ross Gunn qualified the No. 23 Heart of Racing Aston Martin third among the GTs and second in GTD Pro, followed by the No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R of Patrick Pilet.

The No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R GTD of Antonio Garcia completed the top-five.

imsasqual.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
C8.R Corvette Racing will start fourth in class & fifth among all production-based GT cars Saturday for the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach, following Friday’s qualifying session for the Acura Grand Prix.

Antonio Garcia set a best lap of 1:18.329 (90.449 mph) in a tough-luck, 15-minute qualifying for GT Daytona (GTD) PRO cars in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. Driving the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R with teammate Jordan Taylor, Garcia finished the session a half-second off the GTD PRO pole time.

He lost two of his best laps in the qualifying due to cars spinning ahead of him, which meant the Corvette had to bail out on those flying laps. Still, Garcia will look to make up spots early and often at the tight and twisty 1.968-mile, 11-turn circuit.
The race likely will feature one planned pit stop, so the potential is there for the stellar Corvette Racing crew to gain spots in the pit lane.

Long Beach is an intense 100-minute dash for the Corvette program and the rest of the WeatherTech Championship teams. It’s an event that Corvette Racing has won more than another team in series history four times since 2014 to go along with four more victories in the American Le Mans Series era from 2007-2013.

The event is, of course, miles different from the team’s first two races of the season, the Rolex 24 and Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Due to the 100-minute race time and no margin for error with concrete walls lining the circuit, qualifying and track position are everything.

That meant a dual-focused approach in Friday’s two practice sessions to establish the best qualifying and race setups in order to not just earn track position in Friday’s time trials, but to also keep and improve it Saturday in the race.

The Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. ET / 2:05 p.m. PT on Saturday.
The race will air live on the USA Network from 5-7 p.m. ET with full streaming coverage on Peacock.
IMSA Radio will carry the race at IMSA.com along with Sirius 217, XM 207 and SiriusXM Online 992.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – QUALIFIED FOURTH IN GTD PRO:

It was a difficult session in a way. It was difficult to gauge the traffic and when people were going to spin. So far, we have been struggling to put temperature in the tires. We definitely needed more laps. It’s a shame I only got one goodish lap.
Maybe it should have been better than that, but it’s a shame that a 15-minute qualifying went down to five or six laps total around here.

“The McLaren spun in front of me in Turn Five, and I had to bail on that lap. Then we there was another crash at Turn Eight. Those may have been good laps there. I’m not sure if they had been good for pole, but the car and the rhythm were still coming in. But that’s Long Beach.”

2023 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship – GTD PRO
(After two of 11 events)

Driver Standings
1. Daniel Juncadella/Jules Gounon/Maro Engel – 708
2. Ben Barnicoat/Jack Hawksworth – 682
3. Klaus Bachler/Laurens Vanthoor/Patrick Pilet – 659
4. Antonio Garcia/Jordan Taylor/Tommy Milner – 643
5. Jordan Pepper/Romain Grosjean – 612

Team Standings
1. No. 79 WeatherTech Racing – 708
2. No. 14 Vasser Sullivan – 682
3. No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports – 659
4. No. 3 Corvette Racing – 643
5. No. 63 Iron Lynx – 612

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Race ends under caution with 2 laps to go
C8.R takes second place

Mathieu Jaminet & Nick Tandy delivered the first victory for the Porsche 963, having completed the entire race on a single set of Michelin tires in Saturday’s Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach.
The Porsche Penske Motorsport duo came out on top in the 100-minute street fight, which saw a fierce battle for the final podium positions in a comeback drive from the pole-sitting No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Acura ARX-06 of Ricky Taylor that ended up in the barriers with two laps to go.

Taylor’s co-driver Filipe Albuquerque held control in the opening stint until an issue with the driver change that cost the Konica Minolta-sponsored Acura ten seconds in the pit lane and dropped the car to fifth.
A call to double-stint tires on both Porsches put Jaminet and the No. 7 entry of Matt Campbell up front, although the Australian came under heavy pressure from a number of cars, including the No. 25 Team RLL BMW M Hybrid V8 of Connor De Philippi, who dropped to fourth with 23 minutes to go after running into the Turn 1 runoff.

Taylor, whose car along with the two BMWs took four tires on their stops, made a bold move around Campbell in Turn 8 for second with nine minutes to go after previous contact between the two cars, and hunted down Jaminet for the lead.
WTR Andretti’s hopes of a comeback victory, however, were dashed when Taylor nosed the No. 10 Acura into the Turn 1 barriers after attempting to pass Jaminet for the lead with two laps to go.

It resulted in the race ending under full course caution for the stricken Acura, which was classified seventh.

Vasser Sullivan claimed top class honors in GTD Pro with a controlling run by Jack Hawksworth and Ben Barnicoat.

Barnicoat drove the No. 14 Lexus RC F GT3 to a narrow win over the No. 3 Chevy Corvette C8.R GTD of Jordan Taylor, who got around the No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R of Klaus Bachler following the mid-race pit stops.

Hawksworth, who started from class pole, held control from the start, with Barnicoat expanding the lead.
It marked the duo’s first GTD Pro class win since last year’s season-ending Motul Petit Le Mans.

Taylor and co-driver Antonio Garcia were second, with Bachler and Patrick Pilet completing the class podium.

LBend.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Some second-place finishes are better than others.
That was the story for Corvette Racing on Saturday as Antonio Garcia, Jordan Taylor and the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R earned a runner-up GT Daytona (GTD) PRO result in the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach.

On a day when nothing came easy and passing was limited, the Corvette team drivers, crew and engineers made the most of its opportunities to claw forward two spots from the start and earn valuable points in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship’s GTD PRO standings.

Garcia started the race in fourth after Friday’s qualifying but ran the first 10 minutes of Saturday’s 100-minute sprint under full-course yellow due to a crash involving two GTP cars. Once the race went back to green, he was able to stay within reach of the four lead GTD cars, three PRO entries and one regular GTD competitor as the pack began to run up on lap traffic.

The first pit stops began near the 35-minute mark, and the No. 3 C8.R team brought in Garcia to swap over to Taylor after 40 minutes and running third in class. A quick service of a full fuel load and four fresh Michelin tires, plus a stellar out-lap by Taylor meant the Corvette didn’t just hold on to third place, it gained more than three seconds on Klaus Bachler in the second-place Porsche.

After some hard, side-to-side racing, Taylor stayed within one second of the No. 9 and made a strong, decisive move into Turn Six with a huge dive to the inside of the Porsche straight out of his recent experience in the NASCAR Cup Series with 40 minutes left to take the second-place spot.
GTD lap traffic and faster GTP cars going by meant that Taylor had to spend the rest of the race with Bachler right on the rear bumper of the Corvette. Taylor stayed tough and held the position as the race ended during another full-course caution.

Corvette Racing’s next event in the IMSA championship is May 12-14 at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED SECOND IN GTD PRO:

“Starting where we started, it was really difficult to do something super-crazy to gain positions.
On pure speed, we had no real advantage to make a move. The only way was to do it by strategy as we did, and then play the traffic like Jordan did to gain those spots.
I think we had a fourth-place car, and we finished second, so we can be happy for once at Long Beach!
We didn’t have the pace to win or really fight for it like we have had in the past. It sounds strange, but I’m happy with second.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED SECOND IN GTD PRO:

“We had a good Corvette, maybe a fourth-place car on pace.
Antonio did a good job from fourth in his stint, which is where we were speed-wise. The guys made a good call in the pits to try and jump some guys.

We came out even with the Porsche, and they were pretty aggressive on their out-lap and pushed me wide at the fountain.
Once he pushed me once, I knew it was fair to push him back.
Once I got close enough, he defended pretty aggressively, and I wasn’t going to let up.

I gave him a little tap from the NASCAR world and was able to get by.
It was difficult to defend the rest of the race. I’m glad traffic worked out relatively well to keep him behind us, so a great day for us points-wise.
We had a fourth-place car and to come away with second and beating two guys who probably should have been on the podium, we can be proud of that.
At the end of the year, when we look back on the championship, hopefully this is one we count for some good points.”