IMSA - Laguna Seca Race this Weekend

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
GTD PRO points lead for Garcia, Taylor, No. 3 Corvette and Chevy

Antonio Garcia, Jordan Taylor and Corvette Racing will complete the west-coast swing of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship this weekend with an eye toward the horizon and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Sunday’s Monterey Sports Car Championship is the final IMSA round for Corvette Racing ahead of the team’s challenge for a ninth class victory at the French endurance classic. But first thing’s first: maintain the lead of the new GT Daytona (GTD) PRO championships in the Driver, Manufacturer and Team standings heading into the break.

Garcia and Taylor lead in points as they seek their third straight IMSA championship together, having taken the GT Le Mans (GTLM) titles in 2020 and 2021.
This time around, they’re in the GTD-spec No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R that differs from the GTLM version in a couple of key ways.

For one, the Corvette has 80 additional kilograms of mass (176 pounds) and a 12 percent decrease in air flow, per updated GTD rules. The other big difference is the use of customer Michelin tires for GTD instead of specially designed Michelins that were allowed in GTLM.

Lots of testing and hours of hard work have paid off as the team continues to understand how best to extract the maximum amount of performance from the current Michelin tire. That should come in handy given the high amount of tire degradation that typically occurs around the 2.238-mile, 11-turn circuit.
What’s more, this is the first “normal” two-hour and 40-minute IMSA race of the season.
The previous three events have been 24 hours (Daytona), 12 hours (Sebring, a Corvette victory) and 100 minutes (Long Beach).

Garcia and Taylor would like nothing more than to win on the Monterey coast and head into the Le Mans break with the championship lead.
They placed second in GTLM the last two years, but there is a considerable amount of experience and success that they can use to challenge for a victory this year.

Corvette Racing has won eight times at Laguna Seca since 2004, and the circuit is one of two that the team has raced at in each of its 24 seasons to date. Sebring is the other, and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta will join the list at the end of the season with the 10-hour Petit Le Mans.

The Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship is scheduled for 3:10 p.m. ET/12:10 p.m. PT on Sunday, May 1.
The race will air live on the NBC Network and stream on Peacock starting at 3 p.m. ET/Noon PT. IMSA Radio will air all on-track sessions at IMSA.com along with XM 207 and SiriusXM Online 992.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“Laguna Seca always has been a track where you need to make the tire work at its best.
The performance window is usually narrower than it is anywhere else on our calendar. We’ve never run this specification of car there or this tire there.
We have some information that can transfer from other tracks, so I hope we are in the right spot when we get there.
Everything is so dependent there on weather conditions, so we won’t know where we are until we get to the track.”

Away from the circuit:

“Running in the area is always great around the Monterey coast.
I try to do that every time I go there, one or two training sessions while I’m there. Golf, for sure. You have so many good options in the area.
The food is usually wonderful in the area, with a lot of great places. All three make a great trip and are, really, superb.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“We’ve already learned quite a bit this year about tire management and how important tire degradation will be.
Sebring was a great learning experience for us, positively for understanding the car and tire. Laguna Seca is usually a big tire degradation race.
Whoever can manage that the best is usually at the front at the end.
Historically, we’ve run well there, so we have a good understanding of what we need to do.”

Travel tips for Monterey: “There is an Italian restaurant in Carmel with a little bar where you can watch the chefs cook right in front of you.
It’s excellent, and most of the stuff is handmade. Running on the beach is cool there. It’s a great spot. Coming from Florida, there’s no humidity.

At the track, I like going around the circuit. I always walk up to the Corkscrew and walk up turns Nine and 10.
It’s great viewing up there when we have time to watch some other races.”

Keep in mind that C8.R again was BOP'd by Weathertech going into this race
puke

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The first 3 rounds of the campaign have certainly served up plenty of intrigue and excitement.
And it seems like Pfaff Motorsports and Corvette Racing have been at the center of the action.

In the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona, Mathieu Jaminet was victorious in Pfaff’s No. 9 Porsche 911 GT3 R after a memorable, door-banging, last-lap duel with another Porsche fielded by KC Motorsport Group that still has racing fans around the world talking.

The No. 3 Corvette Racing Corvette C8.R GTD was the class of the GTD PRO field on the way to taking the class win in the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Presented by Advance Auto Parts.
Then most recently at the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach, the fortunes of Pfaff and Corvette became intertwined in a bizarre pit lane incident that has become another internet sensation, allowing the No. 23 Heart of Racing Team Aston Martin Vantage GT3 to claim the win.

All the ups and downs to date have left the Corvette duo of Jordan Taylor and Antonio Garcia holding a 30-point lead in the GTD PRO standings over Pfaff’s Jaminet and Matt Campbell heading into this weekend’s Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship Presented by Motul at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. The No. 14 Vasser Sullivan Lexus RC F GT3 with drivers Ben Barnicoat and Jack Hawksworth lies third in the standings, 71 points in arrears of the Corvette duo.

Sunday’s race at WeatherTech Raceway is the last for GTD PRO until the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen at Watkins Glen International in late June.
It offers Jaminet and the Pfaff team one more opportunity to close the points gap prior to the break.

“At the moment, it seems for sure that the Corvette is the car to beat, at Sebring and Long Beach,” Jaminet observed.
The performance they showed at the last two rounds is pretty impressive. They look a little ahead of the rest of the field. They seem to have an advantage in performance and also in tire degradation. That’s an area where we struggle quite a bit with the Porsche.

“But from our side, we feel pretty confident that the Porsche will be somehow up there,” Jaminet continued. “We’ve had three clean runs, though it’s unfortunate what happened at Long Beach. But we’ve had good pit stops, good execution and the car is spot-on. We just need to keep working hard, keep on doing our job.”

Ah yes, what happened at Long Beach.
The No. 9 Porsche and No. 3 Corvette made their only pit stops of the 100-minute contest on the same lap nose to tail, in adjoining pit boxes. During the stop, one of the Corvette’s wheel nuts flew out of the pneumatic gun used to remove and reinsert the nut during a tire change.

The nut made a slow, looping arc over the roof of the Porsche before landing in the Pfaff car’s radiator just hard enough to create a small puncture and cause a leak. (The photo at right shows the flying wheel nut about to drop into the opening on the Porsche’s hood as the car is being refueled.)

The freak episode knocked the Porsche out of the race and incurred a drive-through penalty for the Corvette, from which Garcia recovered to finish third.
Like the last lap at Daytona, people are still talking about the rogue Corvette wheel nut.

“Initially, I did not understand why the car was not leaving the pits,” Jaminet said. I started to get a bit angry about what was happening.
Suddenly, I realized when I started the engine, water was going up out of the radiator and onto the windshield.
The re-fueler saw (the wheel nut) coming, so he could explain it to us, and then we saw the video.

We could clearly see what happened and for sure it was a lot of emotion because we had a good pit stop, and it was looking like a P2 finish for us. It’s disappointing, but these things can happen. We move on.

Garcia was confused why he had to serve a penalty, and didn’t truly understand until he also saw video footage of the unlikely projectile and its crazy flight path.
“For sure, that’s the unluckiest thing.
You could try a million times or more and never do that again,” he said.
Like Jaminet, Garcia expects the Corvette to be competitive again at WeatherTech Raceway.
The 41-year-old Spaniard is a three-time winner at the picturesque California road course. Corvette is also strong at the track, with eight wins.

“Laguna has been good for me and always good for Corvette Racing,” Garcia said.
This year, every time we go to a different racetrack, it’s a new challenge because we don’t know how this new version of the car will behave. We are always learning about the control tire at each racetrack, how to make it work.

“So far it has been going really, really good, so I don’t see anything going against us that would prevent us from fighting for the win or a good result.”
The Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship schedule shows WeatherTech Championship practices on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning,
ahead of qualifying at 3:45 p.m. ET Saturday (livestream on IMSA.com/TVLive).

The race airs live at 3 p.m. Sunday on NBC.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
IMSA Monterey SportsCar Championship

Race Duration: 2 hours 40 minutes
Circuit Length: 2.238 miles
Monterey, CA April 29-May 1, 2022
Entry by Class:
DPI (6)
LMP2(6)
GTD Pro (6)
GT Daytona (14)
Qualifying: Saturday, April 30, 2022
Live Streaming: IMSA: TV | IMSA
3:50-4:05 pm ET Qualifying - WeatherTech Championship (GTD Pro/GTD
4:15 pm - 4:30 pm ET Qualifying - WeatherTech Championship (DPI/LMP2)

Race Broadcast: Sunday, May 1, 2022
US TV-NBC: 03:00 -6:00 PM ET NBCSN
Online-Peacock TV: 03:00-6:00 pm ET Unavailable In Your Region
International: 03:05 to 5:50 PM ET IMSA: TV | IMSA

Online Coverage
IMSA.com (includes live images, in-car cameras and announcers)
IMSA: TV | IMSA

LIVE TIMING: Scoring | IMSA
Live Timing for mobile device: http://scoring.imsa.com/mobile.html

Radio:
1) Streaming on IMSA TV & Radio Le Mans:
IMSA: TV | IMSA
RS Player
2) Scanner frequency 454.000
3) XM 207
4) SiriusXM Online 992

PIT NOTES: http://twitter.com/ @CorvetteRacing, @IMSA, @IMSAlive, @WeatherTechRcwy
Corvette Racing Fans

Official Schedule: https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...RLS-042022.pdf

Spotters Guide: 2022 Official IMSA Spotter Guide

BoP https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...P-04212022.pdf

Entry List: https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo..._EntryList.pdf

Track Map: https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...-Track-Map.pdf

WEATHER: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.U1ancvldWSo

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Jordan Taylor & C8.R Corvette Racing will start last place on the GTD PRO grid Sunday for the Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship as the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R goes for its second victory of the season in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Taylor qualified the No. 3 C8.R on Saturday with a time of 1:24.160 (95.731 mph) to put him 1.018 seconds off Mathieu Jaminet’s pole time.
Taylor and Garcia have placed second the last two years at Laguna Seca, but the deficit in performance will make the team’s huge task of winning for the ninth time in Monterey and maintaining the lead in the GTD PRO points standings even tougher.

The circuit is one of two that the team has raced at in each of its 24 seasons to date.
Sebring is the other, and Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta will join the list at the end of the season with the 10-hour Petit Le Mans.

The Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship is scheduled for 3:10 p.m. ET/12:10 p.m. PT on Sunday, May 1.
The race will air live on the NBC Network and stream on Peacock starting at 3 p.m. ET/Noon PT.
IMSA Radio will air all on-track sessions at IMSA.com along with XM 207 and SiriusXM Online 992.

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R QUALIFIED SIXTH IN GTD PRO:

“There’s not too much to say.
The car was pretty good, but we’re still sixth. We’re doing all we can to get toward the front, but we’ve been last in every session.
It’s been somewhat comfortable to drive. We’ve been on pole here and won races here.

The car feels like it should be close to the front, but unfortunately it isn’t.
Tomorrow we’ll do everything we can in our control to move forward.
The only way we’re going to do that is on strategy.
We’ll have to stay out of trouble at the start, being in the mix of the other GTD guys.
We’ll try and stay out of trouble and leave it to the guys on the engineering stand to make some good calls.”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Things didn’t exactly pan out, no longer in 1st place of points standings for C8.R but Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor still came out better than where they started with a fourth-place of 6 car finish at the Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca.

The No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R challenged for a third straight podium in the new-for-2022 GTD PRO class. The team now takes a break from IMSA competition and will prepare for its annual trip to the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June with eyes on a ninth class title in France.

Starting at the back of the GTD PRO grid Sunday and in the middle of the regular GTD field, Corvette Racing elected for a three-stop strategy in an attempt to gain early track position.
Taylor brought in the No. 3 Corvette 25 minutes into the race on the strategic call from team engineers for fresh Michelin tires and fuel. The move paid off as Taylor got back around ahead of the No. 14 Lexus, which stopped a lap later in an attempt to mirror the Corvette Racing strategy.

Things got better with a full-course caution on the following lap.
The Corvette strategists called Taylor back to the pitlane for a fuel top-off under yellow once the GTD pits opened, sending the No. 3 C8.R to the class lead.

Misfortune struck on the restart, with Taylor falling back slightly and suffering contact, which pushed the No. 3 Corvette to third in class.

Any damage was minimal as Taylor drove another 57 minutes until giving way to Garcia, who went the final 60 minutes without another stop.
Garcia whittled a four-second deficit to the third-place BMW of Connor de Phillippi to a half-second inside the final seven minutes, with both within 1.5 seconds of the second-place Lexus at the same time.

Faster prototype traffic and slower GTD cars stymied Garcia’s challenge in the final laps.
Corvette Racing’s next round in IMSA is the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen on June 24-26 from Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International.
ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FOURTH IN GTD PRO:

“Things almost played out our way. We stopped first, and the Lexus followed us from the same position to cover us. In a way,
I think it was a smart race from our point of view. We got the most out of the pace we showed over the weekend.
I knew I had to do more than 40 laps on the last stint on the same tires, so I didn’t want to kill them.

I think everyone was struggling with tires. It was difficult. The different cars achieve lap times in different ways, so when we race BMW for example, it’s very difficult. I got close to them for about four or five laps before traffic got very bad.

Without that, maybe I would have had a shot, but it’s the way it is around here. Traffic is always very bad at Laguna when we are all struggling with tire degradation. Coming out fourth and being able to maybe get P2 with what we had, I think we have to be happy.
I feel just a little disappointed that I couldn’t find my way through to gain those positions.”

On to Le Mans: “It will be fun.
Going from this racetrack with the least amount of grip in GTD PRO, it will feel like we are in LMP1 at Le Mans!
It will be nice to get back into WEC and GTE Pro mode as fast possible.
I can’t wait to work with the 64 guys again to get a good result for both Corvettes.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FOURTH IN GTD PRO:

“From where we started the race, we had to take risks with strategy to make things happen.
Fortunately, the first call to pit early, and the early yellow put us in the lead. I didn’t have a good restart, which shuffled me back to third. I think we were going to be third or fourth on pace with the other guys’ strategies.
So it’s not the greatest day, but looking at the weekend as a whole, the race is what counts for points. We’ve learned a little bit, so hopefully we can go to Watkins Glen and be in a little stronger position.”

On to Le Mans: “I’m already thinking about it. It’s nice to shift gears and go back to the GTE spec of the C8.R.
I’ll go to the simulator in the next week-and-a-half to do some Le Mans prep, and I’m looking forward to that.
It'll be nice to get back over there and redeem ourselves from last year.”

LSsucked.jpg

Last edited: