Indicator warning lamp

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Hi...I have no indication of the left indicator flashing. I think the bulb has blown. Is there an east way to get to the warning bulbs that are between the rev counter and speedo displays?

Alben78

Well-known user
It’s always the lh indicator bulb. If you have very small hands you may just be able to reach up behind the steering column and remove the bulb holder. If not then you need to drop the column as far as possible, remove the screws securing the bezel and then the instrument panel and ease the panel forwards. If you have cruise then undo the speedo cable which will give you a bit more room, if not you need to unscrew the cable at the speedo, good luck with that... make sure it is the bulb before you put it all back as in some cases the problem lies with the track on the cluster which has corroded. If all else fails then you can drop the column from the fascia support disconnect the speedo cable and the multi plug and take the whole cluster out. That way at least you can see the condition of all the contacts and probably renew all the bulbs at the same time. Probably the worst job on the car, be ready for spilling blood or wear some sort of hand covering and give yourself lots of time. It’s not a 5 min job.... I have heard of some people accessing via the speaker in the top pad but again you need very small hands. Best of luck.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
On the later cars (78 and on) you don't need to try to drop the steering column, but if you have a tilt/tele, it helps to lower it a bit sometimes. The complete speedo/tach housing comes out if you release the small screws around the outside edge. (some hold the glass only by the way). The speedo cable has a spring clip affair - if can have a look underneath with a mirror maybe you'll get the idea, but basically, you push a small catch and the cable is released. To re-fit, it just pushes back and the clip "clicks" into place. It may help to remove the small panel at the base of the dash that the light override pull switch is attached to. Once you've done that you can ease the whole cluster out enough to get to the bulbs. If you are very brave you can pull out the multi connector and to get the cluster out. Beware, the "circuit board" is plastic and can get brittle over the years,so is easily damaged.

Alben78

Well-known user
If it helps this is what the back of the 78 cluster looks like when removed.

Attachments

• 1A1E05D5-FF0F-4843-93DC-2B46FE137D73.jpeg
    1A1E05D5-FF0F-4843-93DC-2B46FE137D73.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 11

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Having done this myself recently, I observed the following with mine:
1. The printed circuit was delicate from age, delaminating at the corners. Fixed with strong clear tape.
2. Some of the blown bulbs were in fact corroded holders both inside where the bulb contacts & contact with the printed circuit. I tested with continuity meter & replaced 3 from Corvette Kingdom
3. Parts of the printed circuit are bare, so be careful if powering up to test, before the unit is in proper situation
Hope that helps

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Thanks for all your replies. The lamp will have to wait as the water pump has just deposited copious quantities of water over the fan and pulleys and sprayed the engine bay!! I think I can replace it if there are not a 100 different patterns to choose from and I can get the right one!!!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’ve got a used, small block, short pump. Was fitted to mine by the place I bought it from. It’s done little more than drive from the low-loader to the garage.

You can have it if you want to collect or pay for postage.