Interesting video on importing cars from America

Letank

CCCUK Member
I stumbled across this video made by Jonny Smith earlier and it seemed like a nice informative guide on importing cars to the UK from America.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has done it for themselves, whether there is anything else to keep in mind? There didn’t seem to be much detail on the registration process/inspections once in the UK for one.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I stumbled across this video made by Jonny Smith earlier and it seemed like a nice informative guide on importing cars to the UK from America.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has done it for themselves, whether there is anything else to keep in mind? There didn’t seem to be much detail on the registration process/inspections once in the UK for one.
Brill thanks for sharing

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
We are now in the age where importing cars or selling cars vertically anywhere in the world is a very simple process compared to say 30 years ago.
My dad and I have imported and exported cars since the 70’s ( that was dads era)
From the USA is simple
Find a car to ship, ensure it has a clean title or current registration.
Buy the car.
Find yourself a good shipper.
Ship car across the pond.
Shipper will handle all the paperwork for import and HMRC payment, and issue the NOVA
Once cleared, arrange for car to be delivered to you, or collect it yourself ( Insure it on the VIN )
Get it MOTed if needed.
Complete the V55/5 and send to DVLA, who will issue you the UK registration number.
Away you go. It’s as simple as that.

Compared to the 1970’s and 1980’s is so easy. Back in those days it was all phone and faxes.
Now it’s just emails.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The above is the basics.
If car is under 10 years old a IVA test is done, which will mainly cover lighting to UK standard, ie no yellow side lights, no red rear indicators, side repeaters and rear fog lights. Depends on the vehicle. They are a bit fussy on trucks, cars not so. I’ve found it very much Depends on the examiner.

Letank

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the info Nassau65!
So the IVA is only for newer cars then. Do the classics not need any inspections at all? Not even to ensure the lights have been converted?
I assume the ‘title’ is the US equivalent to a V5 logbook? What is meant by a clean title and is there anything the buyer needs to check or do with the title upon sale of the car?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The IVA is the old SVA, it applies to cars up to 10 years old. It’s like a MOT, but a bit more strict. As said earlier on most US vehicles ( cars) it’s mainly lighting that is the “problem. Trucks are a different story.
Cars/trucks over 10 years require a MOT, which again will effect lighting, some friendly MOT people will still pass US vehicles with red rear indicators. Once the vehicle is over 40 years old, no MOT required. I like to get a first MOT done on over 40 year old vehicles so I know what’s what.
Yes, a Title is like our log book. A clear title means no loans attached to the car, these will be shown on the title unlike our log books that don’t show finance attached to the car. Any finance will need to be paid off before car can be exported. Then title becomes clear.
On older cars some states do not issue titles, sales are completed by bill of sale only. Cars can’t be exported like that, couriers will not collect cars for export on BOS . That vehicle will have to have registration and tags ( numberplates) easy for the seller to do. Once done car car be exported, and registered on that in the UK.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Re the title.
Make sure description matches. ie make CHV ( Chevrolet) Model (corvette) body Cpe ( coupe) or cvt ( convertible)
Year 65 (1965) VIN ( xxxxxxxx) color BLK ( black) Mileage will be listed also.

Owners name and address will be on the front, and any lenders will also be listed ie Lloyd’s bank Lombard Street LONDON EC3.

The most obvious thing is to make sure the title details match the car details. Most sellers will send you a copy or photograph of title.

Letank

CCCUK Member
Thanks again Nassau65 👍🏻
So if there is no title can BOS + registration and tags be used as an alternative option even in states where titles are used? What is involved for the vendor to obtain the registration and tags? Assuming the car is used on the road then is that something that would already be with the car?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Depending on the price of the car your thinking of buying, you can get a inspection done. Most buyers will welcome it, and if they don’t, Walk away.
Inspections are totally independent as you will appoint them to do the job. The net will list ones local to the vehicle, you contact them to arrange. Cost is about $400 average including travel. They fully inspect vehicle, test drive, everything. There report is comprehensive and lists everything, fully backed up by insurance against incompetence.
The last one I had done was on a 1957 thunderbird at a dealers in Long Island NY. Only found faults were the clock and original radio not working. Cost me $295. as he was local to Long Island NYC. I was very pleased with the car when it arrived, his report was 100% correct.
He did know the dealers selling the car, and told me he had seen it in their showroom a couple of days earlier when inspecting another car for a client. No conflict of interest as he was totally independent.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Most states will reregister or title a bill of sale car. NY is a no title state for older cars. If it is registered and has tags ( plates) the new NYC buyer will use the registration slip to obtain new tags or use his tag. If the new buyer was say from Florida once car was in FL the new buyer would receive a FL title when he registered it and got his tags.
From a export point, car must have a title or registration (tags plates) for it to be exported.
Very easy for the seller to do, a trip to the DMV a small payment, all done.