It won't go!

commanderrostom

Regular user
Hi all
1998 C5
Last year I had a battery drain......turned out to be the rheostat on the dash lights! But now a bigger(?)problem. HELP! Car SORNED in December and went to fetch it from my garage on Wednesday. Battery had been disconnected for 3 months. It started "on the button". I reversed out, and had to do a 3 point turn to get out of yard area, and it constantly stalled. Once straight I drove it 100 yards, parked it, locked up garage, and started it and drove home....10 miles. Perfect. Stopped to get fuel and it would then start, idle and you can rev the nuts off it but once you put in D or R it will move maybe a yard and engine dies. Dash says "Service Steering Column" so I had it rescued to "my man" who is really Porsche orientated and he has swopped the relay or whatever it is that 1998 C5's had problems with re the steering lock......I had the kit with the car. No joy. It seems like the fuel supply is cut off although the cut off is immediate ; I would have thought there would be some fuel to make it cough or splutter before it died.It's as if you turn the ignition off!! Any ideas??? Hope I am inundated with a simple cure.
BTW, the journey was classified as "essential" by local police....I had car stored in a unit which I have turned over to Salvation Army as they were desperate for some storage space! Good timing as it happened!!
Thanks everyone, hope you are all well and staying safe.
Tom Commander

7YEL

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Tom
As oelarse has said above lmc5 Here is a other video so you can gather enough info before fitting.

commanderrostom

Regular user
Hi Tom
As oelarse has said above lmc5 Here is a other video so you can gather enough info before fitting.

Hi Tom

Thank you both SO much!! Richard fitted the lmc5 but no difference. He went home and at 16:30 called me , I wouldn’t say excited as Richard isn’t that type, but he realised he hadn’t re/ fitted a fuse in case it locked the column but we’re mega hopeful it’ll run ok Monday with fuse replaced!! I’ll post the results! Have a safe and as enjoyable weekend as possible!! Tom

oelarse

Well-known user
If you still get the message"Pull key , Wait 10 seconds" you need to do the brown wire modification :)

commanderrostom

Regular user
If you still get the message"Pull key , Wait 10 seconds" you need to do the brown wire modification :)

View attachment 4975
Guys
It’s sorted .... I hope. Picked up car and initially it did the same but we think it got electrically confused with doors being locked and unlocked in odd orders!!!! Anyway it seemed ok so drove home. I’ve started and moved on the drive and all seems well!! I’ll drive when we are released from
Home prison! So again big thanks, what a great club. Stay safe and cope with corona!!
Tom