Jacking question

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi, are people ok with jacking under the diff to raise both rear wheels off the ground . Any thoughts or suggestions? Tia πŸ‘

Emc

Supporting vendor
Never raise the car using the diff, by doing this you risk breaking the rear spring mounts on the rear cover, corvettes were not designed to be jacked up this way.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Never raise the car using the diff, by doing this you risk breaking the rear spring mounts on the rear cover, corvettes were not designed to be jacked up this way.
thanks, I want to get rear raised to have a go at the handbrake adjustment , two jacks at rearjacking points on chassis best?

Dazaa

Well-known user
Always jacked my up from the frame rails either side, wouldn't trust the diff as the housings can crack, same goes for the front crossmember which ends up dented

kentvette

CCCUK Member
thanks, I want to get rear raised to have a go at the handbrake adjustment , two jacks at rearjacking points on chassis best?
Always use the frame rails. I usually jack the car with the jack positioned more towards the centre of the car than the actual jacking points as shown in the drivers manual. Then, I slide in the axle stand to about where the actual jacking point is, then lower the car onto the axles stand. I never work on the car with just a jack!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Always use the frame rails. I usually jack the car with the jack positioned more towards the centre of the car than the actual jacking points as shown in the drivers manual. Then, I slide in the axle stand to about where the actual jacking point is, then lower the car onto the axles stand. I never work on the car with just a jack!
Sounds good , i quite like the length of 4x2 under the rail so spreading the load , saw it on line, wrapped a piece in felt and stapled in place , havnt tried it yet. Do yo do one side at a time or two jacks at same time. Just wondering if jacking one side flexes body at all. Am seriously looking into a 2 post wheel free lift for the new shed. Will make maintenance and fettling a doddleπŸ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Axle stands a must , doors shut as Daytona says and release the latches on the roof panels if you have a T Top . Especially if they are glass panels. It will protect them from chassis flexing .

Roscobbc

Sounds good , i quite like the length of 4x2 under the rail so spreading the load , saw it on line, wrapped a piece in felt and stapled in place , havnt tried it yet. Do yo do one side at a time or two jacks at same time. Just wondering if jacking one side flexes body at all. Am seriously looking into a 2 post wheel free lift for the new shed. Will make maintenance and fettling a doddleπŸ‘
Good move - never, ever get under car with just a jack alone and remember if you jack and try to support the car up from one side only the underside of the chassis rail will not be parallel with the ground and thererfore at extremely high risk of slipping-off the jack (or axle stand).
I always jack the car-up either at (or close to) intersections of the chassis - so close to front or rear fender opening or the centre of the chassis rail by the gearbox cross member. If the doors or front fenders flex too much when the jack is jacked-up you need to consider the condition of the bird cage.......
Don't use a jack on the front suspension cross member unless you have a wide supporting piece of 6 x 2 or similar spreading the load.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I am very lucky .I get the use of a post lift at the workshop for anything other than quick jack up jobs like brakes as long as a race or rally car is not hogging it 😁

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Hi, are people ok with jacking under the diff to raise both rear wheels off the ground . Any thoughts or suggestions? Tia πŸ‘
If I’m jacking the rear end up I will jack under the diff - under the spring clamp plate to be precise.
I have a block of wood that locates nicely under the plate, with a hole bored in it to clear the small bolt that goes through the spring leaves. This puts the lifting load right under the spring which is what takes the load of the car when it’s on its wheels anyway.

A834CB56-F3F3-498F-9980-BE88F7BAE4FB.jpeg