Key C3 Socket Sizes

NMcC3

CCCUK Member
Hi, I have a high quality 1/2” drive metric socket set and spanners. Rather than buy a new socket set I’ll buy just good quality single AF sockets for my new to me 1980 C3. What are the key sizes I can’t do without please? Thanks.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
How long have you got ?? I have a 1980 and due to unknown history , various changes , upgrades etc in its life I find both metric and AF sockets invaluable . Fortunately I have amassed a good selection of both over the years . If I were you I would buy a good set of AF then you should have just about everything covered . Probably be more cost effective in the long run too .

NMcC3

CCCUK Member
Thanks, I think you are probably correct. I have most small sizes covered on a puny 1/4” drive but some cars only have half a dozen nut sizes so was thinking of buying a few quality tools. I’ll look for just a st of sockets. Thanks for replying🙂

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
No probs . You will definitely need 1/2 inch drive and they will always come in handy for other jobs too . Happy tinkering and post us all some pics of your new toy . (y)

Roscobbc

Simply go to Machine Mart and buy an off the shelf 'clip' of 1/2" drive AF sockets. 3/8" up to, say 9/16" in 1/6" increments should cover over most sizes used.

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
I remember an old american car enthusiast once telling me "Yank cars are build like brick shithouses - there's nothing smaller than a 1/4" fastener anywhere!" My own experience is somewhat different - No 10's and No 8's abound, in both NF and NC. Some of your smaller metric sockets will be if not exact, an adequate fit for these......and your spark plugs are probably 16mm AF :)