Last of the greats

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The 1995 Corvette ZR-1. Last of the great first edition corvette “supercars”
Hell, what’s not to like.

One hell of a car for at the moment not much money. But, prices are on the up.
E9AD859E-7670-49C5-9B88-EE26A1370DD7.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Been reading up on the ZR-1 as I am toying with the idea of getting a C4. The only down side is they are coupes, and I’ve always been a convertible man.

On the specs Wow, this is 1995 by the way, 0-60 4.4 secs top speed 182 mph. 1995, that’s 27 years ago. That mother could still hold its own against anything nowadays, on a normal road with traffic etc. OK on a track more modern machines ( inc some C7/C8 Corvettes ) would edge it out, but for normal driving you would still be “king of the hill”.

Certainly to use AND as a investment, it’s a bloody good punt.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Stupid mistake in selling my 1994 ZR-1
But at the time knowing GM was not going beyond 1995 for ZR-1 and the fact almost anyone did not know how to
work on the LT-5, no real engine mods for it, just had no future for my need for race speeds :-(
As it was, once I got this great Corvette to go over 200 MPH there was not much I could do with it

GM even asked me to bring my ZR-1 to Warren MI at the Tech center, so they show it off to all as what
a 1990s C4 could do with very little changes I did to it, including my own tuning of the engine controller (ECM)

94zr1.jpg

Having owned multi C3s getting a ZR-1 was something I had to own and race, it kicked the crap out of the Eurosnobs, along with the ricers and most of all the Vipers

Even I was changing the rev limiter from 7,200 to 7,800 RPMs that engine purred and never let me down
Everyone who is into Corvettes should find a way to drive a C4 ZR-1 and all the world records it broke in speed and distance

You knew that Lotus LT-5 when I would run 160-180 MPH for 120 miles in 90 F deg weather grinding through the mountains of Nevada or Texas
and finish the race and the coolant and oil temps just above normal you realize what a Corvette design is really about

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That Admiral Blue sure looks good.

I agree, think it was the best of the C4 colors and kinda fit the looks of the ZR-1

Worst color to me was I owned a 50th year 1993 which had this lousy looking like a wine color,
I only bought it as GM employee cost savings and short term in buying the 1994 ZR-1

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Employee discount, love it. Some friends worked for Ford, they got a great employee discount, and the savings on Ex exec cars usually 3/4 months old was even greater.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Employee discount, love it. Some friends worked for Ford, they got a great employee discount, and the savings on Ex exec cars usually 3/4 months old was even greater.

Reason I have owned 10 plus Corvettes :)
But the bastards of GM Corp would not allow discount for the ZR-1 :(

Roscobbc

Much the same for UK Ford workers ordering the RHD Mustang when first introduced to the UK. I think that employee discount for FoMoCo workers is finishing now?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I agree, think it was the best of the C4 colors and kinda fit the looks of the ZR-1

Worst color to me was I owned a 50th year 1993 which had this lousy looking like a wine color,
I only bought it as GM employee cost savings and short term in buying the 1994 ZR-1
I’ve got the 2 Franklin mint models done of the 50th edition. ( coupe & Convertible) I thought the Color looked good. Saw it in person, and still liked it.
we are all different.