Lazy Light and missing Horn!!

Adriana1

Busy user
have made a few enquiries through this forum to get my C3 up together
Its a 1971 coupe
Passenger side headlight refuses to come up, drivers side works ok but is a bit slow, I cannot physically lift the passenger side- it seems locked, looks to me like the vacuum actuator is seized???
I can lift the drivers side no problem but the passenger side refuses to budge I can seem and check all the springs and levers all move a little but the actuator seems stuck
Is there a strip down guide for the actuator??
Cant get the horn to work- checked out the wiring looks like the relay and horn work but the horn button doesn’t operate the relay!!!! Any thoughts please

Thanks to all for continues support keeping these beautiful old cars on the road in the UK

Adrian

Mike W

Busy user
I'm not aware of a strip down guide for the actuators. As far as I remember from when I restored my '72 (many years ago now) the vacuum actuator can't be stripped. You may be able to get new seals though. As for manually lifting the lights: I hope you're not doing it from above the car, you need to get underneath the lights and push up on the mechanism. You should be able to access them easily through the holes in front of the spoiler, that's how I did it when restoring them anyway.
Sounds like you may need new actuators if the working one is slow, but first check all the vacuum hoses from the lights to the switch and from switch to engine. Can't help much more without looking at it and as I say, it's a long time since I played with a C3.

You may well have broken connection for the horn within the steering column. New horn contacts are, or were, easily available too. Again, can't diagnose this remotely but I'd start by checking for continuity in the wiring from the contacts to the relay.

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
have made a few enquiries through this forum to get my C3 up together
Its a 1971 coupe
Passenger side headlight refuses to come up, drivers side works ok but is a bit slow, I cannot physically lift the passenger side- it seems locked, looks to me like the vacuum actuator is seized???
I can lift the drivers side no problem but the passenger side refuses to budge I can seem and check all the springs and levers all move a little but the actuator seems stuck
Is there a strip down guide for the actuator??
Cant get the horn to work- checked out the wiring looks like the relay and horn work but the horn button doesn’t operate the relay!!!! Any thoughts please

Thanks to all for continues support keeping these beautiful old cars on the road in the UK

Adrian
Not sure if it helps but have seen a few videos on you tube by corvette Ben about sorting out the lights .might be worth a look through some of his videos ,good luck

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
As stated above, I had lazy lights too. Seal kit from Corvette Kingdom and watching videos posted on internet, got me sorted. I too had a horn issue, taking off horn push and looking at exploded view of components in Haynes manual and mine taken apart, established what bits were broken. Corvette Kingdom again had the two parts I needed in stock and now sorted. So basically my advice is hopefully compare what you have with what should be there (via internet or manuals) & take it from there.