le Mans Shake down discovery !!!

maxuk15

CCCUK Member
Hi,
You should never assume all is well with your Vette !!!
Car's just back on the road and having a shake down for the annual trip to LM.
On last MOT the brakes were a bit snatchy on the front and I assumed it was the usual bleed the front lhs calliper and that would be that.
BUT low and behold this greeted me yesterday morning !!!
3 of the 4 pads had parted from the back plates...The 4th was on it's way.
They were new in 2016 , now filed under B for bin..........
I'm glad that I still had the old set of standard pads in the garage ( they were sintered pads)

Got to love a C3.
Never a dull moment

Cheers

Attachments

• Pads.jpg
    Pads.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 16

Roscobbc

Not many people have brake pads that actually wear-out on a C3 - if they are OEM spec or pattern ones they'll generally last the life of the car.......your's must have had good retardation!

maxuk15

CCCUK Member
So I found the box the pads came in !!!
They are Wagner Thermo Quiet (Premium Disc Brake Pads)
Don't buy them chaps !!!!!!!!!!!

Roscobbc

I've had a set of Hawk HO Plus pads on my non-power braked 489 cu in C3 for a few years now. Quite pleased with them.....low wear rate.......low dust output.......no squealing, (provided I follow the following procedure). If its any more than a few days since the car was last used when starting out for the day (and getting some initial 'warmth' in to the engine I generally run for half a mile or so on local roads (providing there is no traffic following) at 15 to 20 mph in first gear......at the same time holding the brake pedal down with my left foot to 'burn-off' any surface corrosion on the discs and heat the pads-up - whilst not race pads (that perhaps need to be at elevated temperatures to get best results) they do benefit from heating through.........with 570 bhp AND no power assistance I do need all the help I can get!