Lighting conversion resource / info

Last triumph

Well-known user
Just bought a '81 which will be on the boat shortly.

I'll need to convert the lighting to UK standards which I guess has been done countless time - is there a good resource or how to or any links of what is required and a how to for '80-'82 models?

Thanks.

Rich

Administrator
Firstly, congratualtions on your purchase, Andrew.

The CCCUK has a technical bulletin (which is available to CCCUK members) on how to convert C3 lights. Hopefully you will consider becoming a member and when you do please send me an email to chairman@corvetteclub.co.uk, or a private message, and I will send it to you.

Also, if you have any questions whatsoever as you begin to get to grips with Corvette ownership, please feel free to post them here - our members have a tremendous knowledge which they are always willing to share.

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
As Rich says, the technical bulletin is available to CCCUK Members on the club site. I followed this guide myself and found it a very straightforward DIY job! The ‘technology’ on the C3 being 60/70s is great if you like DIY!!!

Rich

Administrator
I followed this guide myself and found it a very straightforward DIY job! The ‘technology’ on the C3 being 60/70s is great if you like DIY!!!
I too used it in 1990 when I imported my 1981. I am no auto electrician but the car went through the MoT first time. I recall that I did change the headlights for some Lucas ones which had the correct beam pattern and they fitted perfectly.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Firstly, congratualtions on your purchase, Andrew.

The CCCUK has a technical bulletin (which is available to CCCUK members) on how to convert C3 lights. Hopefully you will consider becoming a member and when you do please send me an email to chairman@corvetteclub.co.uk, or a private message, and I will send it to you.

Also, if you have any questions whatsoever as you begin to get to grips with Corvette ownership, please feel free to post them here - our members have a tremendous knowledge which they are always willing to share.
Thanks - I'll sort joining the club now - I was a member many years ago when I owned a '92 back in '97 - IIRC my membership number at the time was 2259.

Last triumph

Well-known user
I too used it in 1990 when I imported my 1981. I am no auto electrician but the car went through the MoT first time. I recall that I did change the headlights for some Lucas ones which had the correct beam pattern and they fitted perfectly.
Hi Rich - just sent you an e-mail to the address above but it bounced back?

Struggling to find the pm area?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Lucas ? The Prince of Darkness ! how did you ever see where you were going Rich ? :LOL:

Last triumph

Well-known user
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been looking every day for about 9 months now for a suitable car and I'll be just glad when it arrives.
It was actually a nice relief to finally delete the endless Facebook and Craig's Lists searches along with all the various classifieds from my bookmarks.
Very good learning journey along the way though.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Lucky to find a 4 speed manual , only 5750 made on 1981 models and final 1982 year was 3 speed auto only . I believe Silver Grey interior was one of the few options with black bodywork which must make it one of the later C3`s built at St. Louis Plant before going over to Bowling Green production . It will have stainless steel exhaust manifolds too and magnesium rocker covers . It should look stunning in black . (y) I just hope it doesn`t sail round the world twice before you get it . :rolleyes:

Last triumph

Well-known user
Lucky to find a 4 speed manual , only 5750 made on 1981 models and final 1982 year was 3 speed auto only . I believe Silver Grey interior was one of the few options with black bodywork which must make it one of the later C3`s built at St. Louis Plant before going over to Bowling Green production . It will have stainless steel exhaust manifolds too and magnesium rocker covers . It should look stunning in black . (y) I just hope it doesn`t sail round the world twice before you get it . :rolleyes:
Indeed - not seen many black, silver '81 4 speeds.

It's on the RoRo vessel from Newark direct to Liverpool so hopefully a straight forward journey.

I'm based on the Wirral, so not too far away for collection.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
As it is Ro Ro I just hope no jolly jack tar decides to thrash it around the decks and on the dockside . :eek: Sorreeee ! didn`t mean to scare you !

Last triumph

Well-known user
As it is Ro Ro I just hope no jolly jack tar decides to thrash it around the decks and on the dockside . :eek: Sorreeee ! didn`t mean to scare you !

If there was any of that going on, I'm sure there'd be far better, faster, and tastier cars to play with. Boats are full to bursting with hundreds of new and used cars and the loading and unloading of them is a major operation.

I weighed up container vs RoRo and came to the conclusion that there's drawbacks with both.

In a container, you've got people squeezing in and out in very confined spaces, loading the car on steep wooden ramps and frames, burning the clutch to a crisp, or attaching winches to places they shouldn't, or subject to brake fluid or oil dripping on it from the car stacked on top of it etc, etc. At both ends, the cars get driven and you've just got to take a deep breath and accept it is what it is.

My '92 came in on a RoRo service back in '97 and touch wood, everything went okay.