Looking at a C5 for purchase. Reg R 945 YNN. Anybody know it? Or can comment on the information I have about it?

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Hello

I'm about to look at a C5 with the following, and I'm wondering if anyone can offer comment or advice, please:
98, manual, coupe, LS1
R 945 YNN
Colorado car, imported in 03
Coilovers on each corner - which I'm not particularly in favour of (but I'm ready to be convinced). For a road car, it seems likely to be overkill, in my view. Perhaps it's been tracked.
6 UK owners
Gear shift from a C6 Z06
C7 alloys 19 and 20 inch, Dunlop Sportmax
Borla at the back
New battery

Current owner since April last year (2021). Has a "big file of paperwork"

But...
A sale was agreed, but the buyer withdrew as the car has developed a misfire. Now, I'm going into this with my eyes wide open, but the private seller has dropped his price by 25%.
Now asking £13,000. Yes, I know - why doesn't he spend a little money to find out what the problem is?
I have the C5 Corvette Book of Knowledge (corvette-web-central.com), and I will try to follow the procedure to read the DTC codes, hoping that will give some indication that the problem is easily (cheaply) fixed.

Any thoughts and comments would be most welcome, if you would be so kind.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
To see what DTCs have tripped with a C5 (save and print this out)

1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages on DIC by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times.
(This will get you into the (DTC) "codes" section of the DIC)
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created.
It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (write down any codes shown)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that has occurred in the past, or C which means current)

5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode.
It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the computer modules.

As to misfire :

DTC P0300 meaning multi misfires, ( more than 1 cylinder at same time)
P0301 means the misfire was in cylinder 1
and then each cylinder has its own DTC
So P0301 through P0308 (cylinders 1 to 8)

For all DTCs the C5 has, look here on my forum at :

Corvette DTCs

Here again as I mentioned in the other post thread you started if having a OBD-II scanner would allow to quickly determine what
problems are, and to focus then on areas that do not look normal

Any time the battery is disconnected all DTCs that have tripped will be erased so do not do that until you first write down any DTCs that have tripped

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Thank you my friend. In fact, it performed pretty fabulously when I drove it, despite a lumpy idle. Perhaps the get up and go was assisted by the 3.7 rear end.
In the meanwhile, though, I have bought an 05 C6 and I'm really looking forward to picking it up and getting to know it.
Thanks very much indeed for your assistance.