Looking to buy C1 .. Import or UK help

Rich Marks

Regular user
Hi
Brand new here .. looking for a C1 .. 1961 (for me .. love the boat tail & the side panels chrome etc .. so has to be a '61)
Options
UK .. limited
USA .. looks good, seem better value , looks like all in costs to import, register, VAT etc etc is best part of £6k (£3k import, mods, registration & insurance and £3k 5% VAT)
Europe .. my impression is they cost more than UK .. , maybe a LHD factor

I'm looking for a low end version in the £50k range

Appreciate thoughts on import from US .. is this a much better deal .. incl the £6k premium, and any advice on buying blind .. as cannot afford the time/cost for a trip to inspect

eg .. this one caught my eye ..

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/corvette/2323940.html

Any thoughts welcome
(I was in the market for a Healey 3000 Mk3 .. but the 61 Corvette has really taken over !)

Roscobbc

You really need to consider joining the NCRS here in UK - and if a car isn't available in the UK only then consider a USA car - but very specifically either a NCRS current 'Top Flight' vehicle or ex-Top Flight car. With cars of this value and the potential for people to make big money on 'ringer' vehicles it is a minefield for the uninitiated.........

Rich Marks

Regular user
Thanks .. not many seem to be advertising top flight.

The one I'm looking at does say matching numbers .. for a Corvette .. would this be chassis/engine/gearbox .. anything else ? Is there a register to check if they are matching .. how can you tell on a 61 ?

Thanks

Roscobbc

Thanks .. not many seem to be advertising top flight.

The one I'm looking at does say matching numbers .. for a Corvette .. would this be chassis/engine/gearbox .. anything else ? Is there a register to check if they are matching .. how can you tell on a 61 ?

Thanks
For most people 'matching numbers' will mean relate to engine block and major components being original to the car. Next best will be correct year for the car. The real enthusiasts will expect all components to be original to the car. We have a member based in Essex, Tom Moss who is very skilled with C1's. May even have one for sale...