Lowering a C3

Blockpower

CCCUK Member
What is the best option to lower a 1980 C3 please?

I'm not into cutting springs I always thought that was heath Robinson style.

Any help to drop an inch or so would be great.

Roscobbc

For the rear - extended shackles - for the front lowered springs - probably best changing shockers it you are unsure about them bottoming out on maximum spring deflection.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
What is the best option to lower a 1980 C3 please?

I'm not into cutting springs I always thought that was heath Robinson style.

Any help to drop an inch or so would be great.
Fitting coil-overs will give you total adjustability, but not the cheapest option.

What height is the car at the moment? I’ve got stock (and uncut) Big Block springs in the front of my ‘75 which give a height of 27.5” to the top of the wheel arch.

There are other variables to consider though…eg. whether your wheels/ tyre combo are different from stock diameter and so altering cars height.
I’ve noticed before that some C3s with side pipes appear to be riding higher than stock so has your car been intentionally raised to give more road clearance where the side pipes pass under the chassis rails? If so there might be a raising packer in the spring pocket. Be cautious of running Into road clearance problems if this is removed, or any lowering plans.

Personally I’m not against cutting springs to alter the ride height, it’s an accepted method used on some very nice cars.
An MOT inspector once told me that a cut spring is technically a fail. In their eyes it’s likened to having a broken spring and trying to tell them you’ve intentionally lowered the car! Paint the cut end to avoid that one.

At the rear, as Ross said, longer link bolts. Or you might find adjustment on the ones currently fitted.