Manual or automatic gearbox

RazzleDazzle

New user
Thinking of purchasing a c3 corvette 1969 with a manual gearbox. Been told c3's burn clutches on a manual gearbox. Is this true, if so is the automatic gearbox the better option. Could members please post who have either, manual or automatic. Many thanks.

Roscobbc

Thinking of purchasing a c3 corvette 1969 with a manual gearbox. Been told c3's burn clutches on a manual gearbox. Is this true, if so is the automatic gearbox the better option. Could members please post who have either, manual or automatic. Many thanks.
C3 manual is no different to any other car in terms of clutch life. There is a knob in the car to control clutch life and other potentially life defining control functions. This knob is quite large, easy to find and situated directly in front of the steering wheel. The actions of the knob dictate clutch life.

antijam

CCCUK Member
I've had a 350 manual for a couple of years now and the clutch hasn't burnt out - guess I must be pretty adept with my knob....;)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I've had my 327 with a manual for 5 years now. No issues with clutch.

But as said on the other gearbox debate thread - auto or manual is purely your choice about your driving style.

HJG

Well-known user
For me a Corvette has to be manual.
I was a bit sceptical about going manual however because, well it's American.
Very pleasantly surprised. The gearbox is far better than I thought it would be. Really enjoy it.

Roscobbc

For me a Corvette has to be manual.
I was a bit sceptical about going manual however because, well it's American.
Very pleasantly surprised. The gearbox is far better than I thought it would be. Really enjoy it.
A Hurst shifter mades a significant improvement to shifting quality.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Sold a 1969 a couple of years ago that was a auto. In my opinion an auto is more civilised. Nearly all my C3’s over the years have been auto. Sold a 1976 manual last year, chap who bought it loved it. I’ve always found clutches on US manuals very heavy, you have a aching leg at the end of your journey.

Nick B

CCCUK Member
I've had both in my Yanks over the years and while a manual was never a 'deal breaker' I do prefer an auto.

Roscobbc

Sold a 1969 a couple of years ago that was a auto. In my opinion an auto is more civilised. Nearly all my C3’s over the years have been auto. Sold a 1976 manual last year, chap who bought it loved it. I’ve always found clutches on US manuals very heavy, you have a aching leg at the end of your journey.
'Old School' updated and heavy duty clutches were certainly heavier - 'modern' dual friction and multi-plate clutches often have a lighter pedal action than stock. I've had a Centerforce Dual Friction on mine for the last few years and it really isn't too heavy.