More C8s Starting on Fire

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
So now another C8 burns up, been several like this from the get go with this design

From a C8 Owner :
I was at an SCCA Track Night in America last week, my 6th event this year, when the engine let go and caused a fire in the rear end.

FYI, the car was fully track prepped, cambered alignment, 2 extra quarts trans fluid, DOT-4 brake fluid, etc.

The car had 5,200 miles on it. Oil changed around 2,000 and again at 4,000.

Claim opened with GM and pictures and videos sent to them on Friday afternoon.
We’ll see how it plays out, but I’m assuming it will be under warranty?

Update:

GM sent out an inspector subcontracted from Vertex Aerospace, apparently a division of Raytheon, on September 12th.

Since then, I have heard nothing directly from GM. I talked to the dealership where the car is located, who said they E-Mailed an inquiry to GM on Tuesday 9/26 and heard back that same day that they had just received the inspector's report, and it was being reviewed by the engineers at GM.

As I mentioned before, the car was completely track prepped, so I can't imagine GM decides this is somehow my fault. All this waiting is killing me, though!

burnup2.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The base Stingray is not under warranty for racing. Cannot tell with the damage if this one is base or Z51 model
But is under GM warranty with the Z51 option and also the Z06
RHD C8s for the UK, all are Z51s

Notice on left bottom the owner installed a tow hook, so they intended to race a lot

Roscobbc

Any manufacturer 'allowing' their full warranties to apply to production road cars being used for racing purposes is taking a huge risk - OK, perhaps its different for specific competition and potentially non-going vehicles such as COPO Camaro's and Cobra Jet Mustangs - would a 'parts-only' (no labour cover) warranty apply to these vehicles?

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Given the localised damage it looks as though something sprayed onto the exhaust and ignited, I'd assume oil? You'd expect more damage to the actual engine compartment if it was fuel I'd imagine.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Clearly a design flaw
Several C8s all seem while racing and fires being at the ass end

I wonder being the headers & CATs are on the top, that racing causes them to be hot enough to cause this
as each side would be around 800 F plus degrees ?

C8fire.jpgC8fire2.jpgC8fire3.jpg60.jpg