Need a jack.

Jimmy

Regular user
I have no jack for my C5,no spare wheel or wheel brace to undo the wheel nuts.In fact i have no emergency gear at all,oh i have a fire extinguisher.Can anyone recommend a jack to keep in my Trunk/Boot,and any other emergency gear.cheers.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
When GM did away with a spare tire starting with the C5, they had an option that is an electric air pump that plugs into the
cig lighter, a can of tire repair that is injected into the tire, and a small air pressure gauge
Some also carry tire repair plugs to fix a tire without taking it off

As to jacking, since the frame is soft hydro formed, cannot just stick top of jack to frame as frame would bend so
where the trailer strap-down slots are, you need a set of these that fit in the slot and then top of jack mate to that
Like these are for C5-C7s.Only like $25 for a set of 4 pucks
They only have 13 sets of these in stock now

A full jack would be heavy to sit in the hatch

Being the car sits low, you need to get one that sit low and is made for lower height cars

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
As teamzr1 says you'll struggle to find a jack that will fit under the car and you can keep in the boot. I've got a low-profile jack at home but no way I'd be putting it in the boot with a spare.

The alternatives he mentioned are probably more practical, failing that a breakdown service membership card!

BigVet

Supporting vendor
We have quite a rare item currently on Ebay at a very low price. It's a genuine GM "Get you home kit". It is designed to fit snuggly out of sight in the rear RH compartment and it contains a compressor/glue etc all in a pre-shaped holder. Of all the C5's we've had through our hands, we've never seen another. Check out Ebay item number 155537297505. Many thanks, Tom, Dromey Corvettes.

Jimmy

Regular user
As teamzr1 says you'll struggle to find a jack that will fit under the car and you can keep in the boot. I've got a low-profile jack at home but no way I'd be putting it in the boot with a spare.

The alternatives he mentioned are probably more practical, failing that a breakdown service membership card!
i didn't mean a big jack.i mean a little jack we get with most cars.Now i realise a C5 doesn't have one,I'm still getting to know my C5 Stingray.What a lovely car,a real head turner or if i was young again a real lady magnet.

Jimmy

Regular user

Yes,i have breakdown cover,i've sorted a kit out incase i get a puncture.It's all good.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Jimmy a lot to learn about the features and functions of C5 so to keep you busy
Click on below and will take you directly to my website, and it will download to you a 130 page
GM engineering PDF that will show you all the design specs and functions
and explains what each functions does as per design

2003 C5 Engineering PDF

Jimmy

Regular user
Jimmy a lot to learn about the features and functions of C5 so to keep you busy
Click on below and will take you directly to my website, and it will download to you a 130 page
GM engineering PDF that will show you all the design specs and functions
and explains what each functions does as per design

2003 C5 Engineering PDF
Iv'e just had a look at the forum,it's good.

Jimmy

Regular user
When GM did away with a spare tire starting with the C5, they had an option that is an electric air pump that plugs into the
cig lighter, a can of tire repair that is injected into the tire, and a small air pressure gauge
Some also carry tire repair plugs to fix a tire without taking it off

As to jacking, since the frame is soft hydro formed, cannot just stick top of jack to frame as frame would bend so
where the trailer strap-down slots are, you need a set of these that fit in the slot and then top of jack mate to that
Like these are for C5-C7s.Only like $25 for a set of 4 pucks
They only have 13 sets of these in stock now

A full jack would be heavy to sit in the hatch

Being the car sits low, you need to get one that sit low and is made for lower height cars
Found thease.

Corkvette

CCCUK Member
If you can lay your hands on one the jack from a Honda S2000 is the one to get it is very light and very low plus the brace is the same size as the C5 lugs. I’ve carried one for years (thankfully never needed to use it) with tyre plugs and a good small compressor. I’ve always felt it would be much easier to plug a tyre with the wheel off and if anything did happen being able to get the wheel off the car is one less thing to worry about.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
If you can lay your hands on one the jack from a Honda S2000 is the one to get it is very light and very low plus the brace is the same size as the C5 lugs. I’ve carried one for years (thankfully never needed to use it) with tyre plugs and a good small compressor. I’ve always felt it would be much easier to plug a tyre with the wheel off and if anything did happen being able to get the wheel off the car is one less thing to worry about.
Quite a few on ebay for £60 it seems, good to know that works.