Negative camber on 72

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Be careful of going much more than 8” long bolts because the ends may hang lower than the wheel rim - would not be good if one had a puncture.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Be careful of going much more than 8” long bolts because the ends may hang lower than the wheel rim - would not be good if one had a puncture.
Yes , i had read that, also someone said to have rhe excess at the top but dont know if that makes a difference. I will re measure mine as i read standard ones were six inches . Sure mine were over seven. . May take a picture to see what people think . Thanks all 👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Yes , i had read that, also someone said to have rhe excess at the top but dont know if that makes a difference. I will re measure mine as i read standard ones were six inches . Sure mine were over seven. . May take a picture to see what people think . Thanks all 👍

Pic would be good.

I reckon this is just right. A little bit of rake and not too low especially at the rear.

0C3D7E4A-3E32-492A-AE5C-98B09D3BB1A6.jpeg

And this is too high
DE158FAD-AF34-47E8-8A79-E496CCFDC106.jpeg

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
If you are lowering the rear that will raise the front, you need to have the chassis set up correctly first with the front slightly lower than the back etc and then look at the body, you need it to drive correctly

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If you are lowering the rear that will raise the front, you need to have the chassis set up correctly first with the front slightly lower than the back etc and then look at the body, you need it to drive correctly
Thanks, the front is slightly lower than the rear at present, whether the new glass rear leaf is holding the rear higher, I think the front springs were not renewed when car was done 6 years ago. Lowering the rear i can see altering the rake at the front but not sure it can physically raise the front could it 🤔👍

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Thanks, the front is slightly lower than the rear at present, whether the new glass rear leaf is holding the rear higher, I think the front springs were not renewed when car was done 6 years ago. Lowering the rear i can see altering the rake at the front but not sure it can physically raise the front could it 🤔👍
Yes - the balance of the weight is shifting

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ah yes, can see that now, weight of fuel tank etc lower at back would take weight off the front springs and raise the front 👍, 🤔thats prob why I was set 5 at maths 😖

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Adjustable bottom links on mine, I wouldn’t go for Rose joints on a road car. Bit of trivia anyone know what links Rose joints and a well known chocolate sweet?

C0821AB3-5910-44B5-8D1E-44EF9B8D4002.jpeg

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
The term "smart" relates to the modified bracket (to lower the inboard mounting point), rather than the strut rods themselves.

Oneball, it looks like you have retained the stock bracket? Is that for regulatory reasons?

Cheers, Andy

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The term "smart" relates to the modified bracket (to lower the inboard mounting point), rather than the strut rods themselves.

Oneball, it looks like you have retained the stock bracket? Is that for regulatory reasons?

Cheers, Andy

Not convinced by them. But I’ve not looked at what they affect exactly only heard the blurb.

You don’t want the upper and lower links the same as you want camber change with suspension movement to keep the wheel level as you corner. I’ve not seen any race car with the bottom mount you described.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Not convinced by them. But I’ve not looked at what they affect exactly only heard the blurb.

You don’t want the upper and lower links the same as you want camber change with suspension movement to keep the wheel level as you corner. I’ve not seen any race car with the bottom mount you described.
Thanks Oneball, it's interesting to get your take on the smart-strut bracket. You have to assume GM had their reasoning behind the stock design. Smart struts are marketed to make a "big improvement to rear end stability" but I wonder if the theory is bourne out more on a road car with softer springs and more suspension travel.

The Greenwood set-up is interesting. Yes definately a spacer above the stock bracket, but then there could be a lot else different on that geometry. See the the spring has wider mounting points with four positions to alter the spring stiffness.