New E10 PETROL

petchy56

CCCUK Member
From this summer new e10 petrol will be what we buy, from GOV facts they state that only C4 and above ie those with cats will run on this fuel ??

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
From this summer new e10 petrol will be what we buy, from GOV facts they state that only C4 and above ie those with cats will run on this fuel ??

Super Unleaded will remain E5. Regular will be E10, anything will run on it but it may corrode older fuel systems not designed to withstand it.

Clicky linky thingy >> Ethanol Protection

Last edited:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Apologies to all who wish this thread was dead and buried (hopefully soon)...
Sorry for not being silenced but im baffled what cats have got to do with Ethanol in fuel.
The potential problems from Ethanol occur before combustion not afterwards.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I'm guessing the mentioning of cats might be related to those cars that were designed for Unleaded and, guessing here, might have been designed with ethanol protection in mind? Unlikely though, as they are saying a lot of much newer cars may have E10 issues as well. But that's in Europe, and USA having been using Unleaded much longer than us (1973? as opposed to our 1993??) and thus may be more along these fuels than us - I do recall watching a video from a USA person saying they have E10 and E85 over there for a while now, and the video was a comparison between the shelf life of them etc.

As I said, all guess work there, I'll go get my coat as no doubt wrong. :ROFLMAO:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
E85?????.. what the hell is E85?

E85 is an abbreviation typically referring to an ethanol fuel blend of 85% ethanol fuel and 15% gasoline or other hydrocarbon by volume . In the United States, the exact ratio of fuel ethanol to hydrocarbon may vary according to ASTM 5798 that specifies the allowable ethanol content in E85 as ranging from 51% to 83%. :eek::eek::eek:

And were worried about E5 :LOL:

Sorry!.. ive put it on top again havent i.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Yes, I was somewhat surprised whilst watching that video when they said about E85. Needless to say, the E85 doesn't "keep" very well if stored for a while, doesn't give us much "gas mileage" and generally not that great. I think they were comparing it to E10 and a pure gasoline fuel without any added E numbers. (Didn't they used to say not to have stuff with too many added E numbers in them???).

Alben78

Well-known user
As seems to becoming the norm these days the UK media has picked up a story, half read it, not fully understanding what the technical terms mean and have cast the worst possible spin on their interpretation of the possibilities. In truth all vehicles will run on E10, after all most have been running on E5 for ages, and will not disintegrate into a pile of small pieces at the first breath of E10 fuel. The cut off date is in reality the date after which the vehicle manufacturers started to test using the E10 fuel and cannot guarantee that the earlier vehicles will continue to perform satisfactorily in the longer term. In addition the USA has been running on this and higher percentages of Ethanol for ages without too many problems and they have a larger number of older vehicles and also cover substantially more miles than we do.Yes, there maybe some cars with fuel line, carb or other fuel system problems in the longer term but not day 1 week1. If you’re really worried then use super unleaded or one of the additives that will no doubt double in number and cost to keep people Ethanol Free.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Had a quick look at the Edelbrock website for the 1406, which is the carb I have. They say its compatible with normal gas, gasohol, and blended fuels - the only warning they give is not to use E85 or race fuel with it. Which is fair enough for a street carb. They do suggest using a heat insulating gasket (which I have) if using stuff with ethanol, because ethanol boils off quicker and thus could lead to more fuel percolation in the carb.

So based upon that, I'm assuming my Edelbrock will be fine and I have the heat insulation gasket too - just need to check the rubber fuel lines to make sure they are compatible. Hopefully are, as the car had been in the States for a while and they have had E10 for a while. So it'd make sense.