New Member - Hello

Nails84

CCCUK Member
Hi everyone,

New member and first post. I was going to post straight into the "Wanted" section but I don't have sufficient privileges apparently.

In short I am looking at getting into C4 ownership. Why the C4? I am a sucker for the looks and the fact I grew up watching the A-Team. So far I have sat in a 1984 and a 1994. I drove the 1994 but not the 1984 - I don't want the crossfire engine.

I am on the hunt for very good condition C4 coupe, my only criteria really is that I don't want a convertible and I don't want the crossfire engine. Condition and history are most important to me. I don't want tired "project" cars. Ideally I would avoid higher mileages and cars that have changed hands every year.

Budget up to £15k for the right car.

Once I find my C4 I will pay for membership and attend some events.

Thanks All.

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Welcome to the fraternity. For £15k you're looking at a good, late C4, my 95 cost me £10k and it's first class car, defo go for no earlier than 1990, you need to look for the LT1, if on the much later, post 96 I believe, the LT5. Lots of things to look fir, both hood and bad, the good outweigh the bad🙂 you can find buyers tops on this website, pit together by car owners, recommend have a goodlook thru these. Best of luck in your search for a great bang for your bucks car.
My 95 LT1.

Attachments

• IMG_20200818_192726.jpg
    IMG_20200818_192726.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200326_132544.jpg
    IMG_20200326_132544.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 3

Nails84

CCCUK Member
Welcome to the fraternity. For £15k you're looking at a good, late C4, my 95 cost me £10k and it's first class car, defo go for no earlier than 1990, you need to look for the LT1, if on the much later, post 96 I believe, the LT5. Lots of things to look fir, both hood and bad, the good outweigh the bad🙂 you can find buyers tops on this website, pit together by car owners, recommend have a goodlook thru these. Best of luck in your search for a great bang for your bucks car.
My 95 LT1.
Thanks Mick, your car looks great. I will take a look at the buyers guides, have also been watching a load of YouTube videos.

Yes the 94 I drove was the LT1.

I didn't buy it, mainly because the seller is asking for £20k although said he would accept something in the high teens.

However it also had a few "issues" which may or may not actually be a problem. First of all it has been painted at some point, fairly well I think but there were some ripples in the paint at the top of the rear quarters. For 30 years old it presented very well overall.

There was also a bit of vibration through the steering wheel at motorway speeds.

5 owners in the UK, but 4 of those in the last 6 years which is never a good sign.

With all this together I decided to leave it.

Last edited:

Nails84

CCCUK Member
Greetings!

Worth having a look at Felix's: Corvettes For Sale UK | 1989 Corvette C4 Z51 6 speed ZF manual

Forum version here: 1989 Corvette C4 ZF6 Manual - fantastic spec

It's had an awful lot done and is far better sorted than the vast majority of other examples you might encounter. Great spec, too, and rare (being an '89 ZF S6-40 six-speed manual car).
I have seen this one, not in the flesh, but know it is for sale. The mileage is too high for me. I know he has done loads of work, but if and when I sell it, that mileage makes it a pain to sell, as Felix is seeing himself, it has been for sale for a long time.

Roscobbc

Not an afficionado of C4's except for early ones......and yes I can see the logic of preferring a later, non-Crossfire model........but, as with the last of the C3's that indroduced the short running Crossfire TBI injection......many engines will have had the system ripped-out and replaced with a conventional carb. Good perhaps if originality isn't important to you and if you're looking to fiddle about with and modify the car in a simplistic way. Whilst a late model C4 is a very capable and everyday useable car an immaculate early C4 in the right metallic colour IMHO is a great looking car and should be well within your budget........and with the added bonus of being RFL and MOT exempt shortly........
Me? - my choice (impossible as it might be) would be a late 80's/early 90's Callaway Twin Turbo with body kit...........

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It’s hard to believe to me that the all new Corvette for the 1984 model year (In the US) is now 40, yes 40 years old. Released in March 1983 as a 1984 model.
I first saw one in Antwerp Belgium while on a buying trip with my dad. Soon after we imported 2 from Miami. I absolutely loved the digital dash, what a sight at night.
Used many as everyday vehicles over the years, never had a single problem. OK they were a lot newer then than now, but the ole 350 is a very reliable motor.
Convertibles are my favourite as I’m a rag top guy.
Best of luck with your search.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I bought a 1984 new that year and after the years of having the smog driven low output engines and the heat pouring up into the driver's area
and fighting to win in autocrosses with a heavy C3
Easy could pull 1 G in corners and won so many auto-xs with it, groups like SCCA outlawed the C4s and had to start new race group

Even though the crossfire engine was not much higher in HP/TQ the '84 had the best suspension of Corvettes to that time
I also liked the digital dash and no matter where I went people would crowd around it, esp when opening the clamshell hood
( I hate GM got rid of starting with C5s) which made working in the engine bay so much easier

The 4+3 manual tranny sucked, though, I never pushed the button for the 3 overdrive gears.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I ran my first 84 as my daily for about 18 months and loved every minute of it. Yes the 85 tune port injection was better, the crossfire was still a nice car. We had a 82 or 83 Z28 with a crossfire motor that was a fast car, and good on gas on a run, juicy in town tho.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I remember when Brian Neighbour got the aerobody put on his 89 coupe, it transformed the car in my eyes. Prices nowadays for C4 callaways are on the up. They really are a lot of car for the money.