New purchase: '69 427

HJG

Well-known user
Hello all

Hope everybody enjoyed Christmas.

Around a year ago I posted on here for advice on buying a chrome bumper C3. It has taken me that whole year to find a car but I am pleased to say I now a Corvette owner.
I originally wanted a chrome bumper small block coupe, so naturally I ended up with a big block convertible and without front chrome :unsure::D
Not the best photos so far - haven't had much of a chance yet!
20201227_172049.jpg20201227_172320.jpg20201227_171942.jpg20201202_224751.jpg

The car has been in the UK for around five years but has only done around 120 miles since landing.
Let's start with the elephant in the room - that front end. I managed to track down the guy who originally exported the car (thankyou google and facebook). He bought the car from a bank who was holding the car against a loan against somebody else. I haven't been able to track that individual but the other guy tells me the car was being prepared for racing and had this front end fitted. Admittedly I was not keen on this front end and it annoyed me that it took the originality out of the car. However the more I saw the car the more I really started to like it. Luckily the car was local so I could see it a few times before making the decision. Two big advantages of the full tilting front end are 1) full vacuum delete for the lights and wipers and 2) great accessibility for the engine and front suspension components.

The engine is not matching numbers. It doesn't bother me. It means I can meddle with it further without devaluing it. It is a L36 427 and is the 'correct engine' but I am told has a different camshaft and the heads have been rebuilt in the UK. The only way I am going to know exactly what cam it has is to take it out at some point. The engine pulls brilliantly. The manual gearbox is very good and I was surprised how good it is for an American car. The differential has been fully rebuilt in the UK.
The sidepipes have had silencers put in because apparently when it arrived from the USA they were hollow, it would set car alarms off everywhere it went.
The mileage reads 99000. This number is meaningless to me. In fact it's my first ever car with less than 100 000 on the clock.

The roof is in very good condition, but the windows don't seem to meet the top seal, leaving around 10mm gap. Annoying but is not left in the rain so not a major issue right now. Any ideas here?
The passenger door needs a good slam which is already getting annoying. The drivers door interior pull handle came off in my hand the other day, also annoying.
The radio is all original but volume is awful and I can barely hear it. Any ideas here? (I know 'the real radio' is hanging on both sides of the car). The horn doesn't work so need to do that too.

Driving the car has been a big learning experience. It's my first American car and it is a whole body experience with hefty manual inputs. No power brakes or power steering. I've had cars without power steering so this doesn't bother me and isn't actually as hard as I thought it would be. The car drives and stops in a straight line.

Frame etc seems solid. Weather has been awful and I haven't had the proper chance to spend an entire weekend with the car looking at every detail, removing things etc. I am sure I will find something somewhere I do not like the look of if I keep looking hard enough, but I think this is to be expected of a car of this age without paying mega money for the car. I will add that my original post for advice mentioned a £25K budget. I am within 10% of that with this car.

Hope to meet some owners once the weather improves and the 'C' word disappears!

Will most more updates / cries for help as I learn more about the car.
Sorry for long post!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Welcome to the club, recently did the same but still waiting for dvla to register mine. Like you I am still finding my way around the car. Enjoy👍

Reactions: HJG

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Many congrats on getting your Corvette! Hope you have many happy miles and much fun together.

Hope too you will consider joining the CCCUK. Great bunch of guys and girls, lots of advice, magazine etc and, if you join now, it is only £22.50 for the period to 30 April [when all memberships renew]. Here is the link:

Look forward to welcoming you!

Cheers,

Mark

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Nice 'Stealth Bomber'. The things that annoy you most(seem minor), throw a few quid at them and then drive and enjoy. the money spent will soon be forgotten when you light it up.

Dazaa

Well-known user
What an interesting car.

Window gap means they need aligning, not that hard apparently, haven't done mine yet
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/...rvette-door-glass-adjustment-instructions.pdf

Horn is simple, just go through all the steps outlined here

Interior door pulls are held on with 2 screws that go through the door panel and fasten to the steel door, screws are either missing or someones used the wrong ones which have stripped the hole out.

Door not latching could be a few things, see this thread 69 have to slam pass door to get it to fully latch - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

HJG

Well-known user
Thanks all for the replies. I am pleased to say I have now registered as a CCCUK member.
Turns out the door pull handle has stripped itself off the screws, which are still in the door so I now just need a new pull handle. Anybody know if these are unique to '69 cars or not?

The car has a mild cam fitted and the idle has been adjusted for it. However it could do with adjusting some more because it struggles to stay running at idle. It seems to need only the weight of my foot on the pedal to keep it running. As soon as my foot is removed, it struggles for a few seconds and cuts out, only to start again instantly on the key.

Biggest lesson learnt is not to buy a classic car in the winter. All I want to do is drive it, but it's always wet or when it's not wet there's salt on the road. It's garaged (unheated) but there's a lot of moisture in the air of late and condensation builds up - was thinking about an indoor cover. Any experiences good or bad?

Cheers,
H

Roscobbc

Thanks all for the replies. I am pleased to say I have now registered as a CCCUK member.
Turns out the door pull handle has stripped itself off the screws, which are still in the door so I now just need a new pull handle. Anybody know if these are unique to '69 cars or not?

The car has a mild cam fitted and the idle has been adjusted for it. However it could do with adjusting some more because it struggles to stay running at idle. It seems to need only the weight of my foot on the pedal to keep it running. As soon as my foot is removed, it struggles for a few seconds and cuts out, only to start again instantly on the key.

Biggest lesson learnt is not to buy a classic car in the winter. All I want to do is drive it, but it's always wet or when it's not wet there's salt on the road. It's garaged (unheated) but there's a lot of moisture in the air of late and condensation builds up - was thinking about an indoor cover. Any experiences good or bad?

Cheers,
H
Probably needs a little more idle mixture - that can mean opening idle screw a bit - which lets in more fuel - irritatingly this will most likely then need more air to balance things out. If the carb is one of the more upmarket Holley's you can 'crank' open the secondary butterflies a knats cock to pass more air - pssibly not if a Quadrajet or low spec Holley.

sublimemike

Well-known user

Cheers,
H

sublimemike

Well-known user
Industrial dehumidifier that will work below 10 degrees plus auto stat if your garage is insulated. Otherwise use it or things like brakes will start sulking especially in damp weather. If not using the car pump the brake pedal every couple of weeks. Lots of posts on C3 brakes on the forum. Cling film over chrome bumpers to stop oxidation.