New tyres looming on the horizon.......?

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Hi folks......some time during the Spring next year I shall be replacing the tyres on my 2004 C5 coupe (or should that be COOP?). Could I get some useful advice on which run-flats to slap on my Vette? Don't want to risk non run-flats for obvious reasons. I've seen on YouTube that some owners prefer Michelin Pilot Sports whilst some have fitted Bridgestone Potenza's? At the moment I have the Good Year Eagle F1's all round. Also I wasn't thinking of replacing the tyre pressure warning guages, one is faulty anyway. Is there any problem with fitting a standard tyre valve, if so, what? Look forward to receiving any advice that you can give me, I don't do burnouts or take part in track days or drag racing, simply want a good, reasonable tyre that handles well and lasts - cheers ;)(y)

Stingray

CCCUK Member
The Bridgestone seems well regarded. I believe it's a BMW tyre.

I've never been disappointed by any tyre with Michelin written on it.

I chose to dump the runflats and carry a can of gunk. I also bought a Jaguar skinny spare to carry on continental trips.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
If you don't fit correct TPMS sensors you will get constant error messages on the DIC. If you're having tyres changed I think it must be worth investing in a new sensor, especially if you're going to continue using runflats. It's particularly important to know of pressure loss when using runflats. If you're unaware of pressure loss the tyre, with its stiff runflat sidewall, will appear to continue to function normally - but it will overheat severely and may suddenly disintegrate with nasty consequences. This is why some/many tyre places won't repair runflats at all - they say they don't know how it's been used and it's not worth the risk..

If you have TPMS and get a slow puncture you can keep topping up the tyre pressure and make sure the tyre is never driven without air. This will leave you with an expensive tyre that can safely be repaired rather then needing inevitable replacement.

I never had a puncture in my C5. In the C7 I've had two - both repaired and saving me around £500 in new tyres....

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
It'd make sense to have new TPM's fitted at the same time as the new tyres. Mine came from RockAuto but beware, if you have a 'Euro' C5 the TPM frequency is different. Re the tyres - I would have liked to fit Michelin Pilot Sports when my set were becoming 'old', although they had loads of wear left on them. Michelin had stopped doing the Pilot Sports in the sizes for both front & rear so I went with Falkens. Good price, grippy tyre that doesn't show any signs of wear as yet - but they are noisy!!!!

Robert Craske

Well-known user
I have had Bridgestones on a BMW and a Corvette I have found they start to perish and crack badly at around 6 years old. I had a very low mileage 2003 C5 with the original Goodyear tyres and when the car was 15 years old when I sold it the tyres were still in perfect condition. Tyreleader seems to be best for price.

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for the responses so far folks, any idea what the ball park figure would be for four tyres, plus four TPM's? No rush for the fitting because I cannot see when the Vette will next get an outing, this awful British weather spoils everything doesn't it? I'd like to wish everyone out there a very Happy Christmas and best wishes for the coming year, may the summer be long, sunny and dry!!!

Robert Craske

Well-known user
If you wish to have Run Flat tyres again I would recommend Goodyear eagle F1 again which were probably what GM fitted from new. Around £650 for the four. Once my tyres wear out I am changing to non run flats as the ride is much more comfortable and quieter plus the car will handle better, The chances of having a flat tyre is so low and I just carry a can of the squirty foam in the boot.

Robert Craske

Well-known user
Tyre pressure sensors are between $25 to $100 dollars in the states depending on brand you choose. AC Delco do one for around $40.

Bowler

CCCUK Member
Re the TP Sensors. They die after about 10 years (battery). Replace all 4 - I struggled to reset only one. If you've a Euro C5, I recommend taking a wheel to a local independent and getting them to pull the sensor and temporarily fit a standard valve. The sensor has a GM part number on. By searching the part number, you will find that the are a lot more common than you may think. I got mine from Amazon in the US and all 4 cost around £200 (IIRC)

You'll need strong magnet to re-train them on the car - there's videos onlne about how to do it

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for all the responses folks, it may not be required now after all because I am hopefully upgrading to a C6 in the near future. Check out my profile picture over the next couple of months, my lips are sealed....for now ;)(y)

craigyboy

CCCUK Member
Re the TP Sensors. They die after about 10 years (battery). Replace all 4 - I struggled to reset only one. If you've a Euro C5, I recommend taking a wheel to a local independent and getting them to pull the sensor and temporarily fit a standard valve. The sensor has a GM part number on. By searching the part number, you will find that the are a lot more common than you may think. I got mine from Amazon in the US and all 4 cost around £200 (IIRC)

You'll need strong magnet to re-train them on the car - there's videos onlne about how to do it
you can buy a tpms programmer for £6 from aliexpress.com

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Hey folks......I decided to take the cheaper option than new tyres after all...............I've traded the C5 for a C6 Grand Sport instead - happy days. Oh and I've offered some of my spare time to CCCUK as the Central North Regional Rep too (that's hot off the press). Hope everyone is well and still addicted to the burble of well tuned V8's :D(y)