Nightmare purchase

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Every now and again with the rebuild of mine I think ā€œmaybe I could have found a better oneā€ but seeing as my only real rot was 1/2 the windscreen frame and it was the cheapest running ā€˜69 I could find Iā€™m now feeling quite lucky.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
What a mess. My guess is a recent import from a "salt" state around the Great Lakes, tarted up to make it look nice. Outrageous.

It'll be like a new car when it's done. Mainly because it'll be a new car...

Custom exotics

Well-known user
The question is did the current owner buy it knowing this so got it super cheap knowing it was a chassis replacement job if so y feel sorry for him and why comments about no mot?although it would only really save you money if you were undertaking most of the repairs yourself !!!

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
The question is did the current owner buy it knowing this so got it super cheap knowing it was a chassis replacement job if so y feel sorry for him and why comments about no mot?although it would only really save you money if you were undertaking most of the repairs yourself !!!
I did think the same thing whilst adding my reply, just didn't put pen to paper so to speak, only CK and owner would know the whole story.

sublimemike

Well-known user
If you follow the rebuild story it came from a company called Ideal Classics - I'm guessing stateside, nice paint and painted engine etc but that's only half the story. CK has loads of You tube vids but I thought I'd post this as it's particularly nasty - check what the body Is like. Hopefully anyone looking to buy a C3 will take note and not fall into a money pit like this.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Thatā€™s where a detailed professional vehicle inspection is worth itā€™s weight in gold. They look at everything, and it gives you confidence to complete your purchase knowing what faults the car has. Prices can be adjusted accordingly to allow for repairs if necessary. Iā€™ve had quite a few done over the years, mainly in the US, but a few times here as well. Iā€™ve also had it done by prospective buyers on cars Iā€™m selling. On now what could be classed as antiques, itā€™s a very wise precaution.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Thatā€™s most unusual, as all professional appraisers in the US, are licensed and bonded. They are subject to legal action if an appraisal is incorrect. Iā€™ve had many done in a number of states ie FL, GA, AL, TX, NY, MA, to name a few. Never had a problem. For anything between $300-500 depending on travelling expenses, itā€™s money well spent.