NW Regions run out to Bodryhddan Hall Wales

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Two months ago I was contacted by a chap who had just bought his very first Corvette and wanted to sign up to the club. I gave him contact details for Rob then followed it up with a call to discuss all things Corvette to find he lived just a couple of miles away from me. Strangely while he had bought the Corvette from a member in the Thames Valley region, he was in no rush to get it home and said 'I'll get it in a few weeks when the weather is better' Weird..

In the meantime he came round to mine to check mine out and we got on really well having a lot in common. Couple of weeks go by and he sets off to drive it back the 150 miles or so and thankfully gets it home incident free and pops round to mine.

thumbnail_20210605_201340_resized.jpg

He's done well considering who knows nothing about Corvettes and has zero mechanical skills. Checked the tyres DOT and they're in good condition but 21 years old mean they have to go.

Guided him on replacement tyres via NHT and he arranged to have them fitted a few days later so he could join us on our next trip out to Billy Bob's diner 50 miles away in Skipton, Yorkshire.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
How do you load multiple photos?

Anyway.. had a great meet at Billy Bob's and Brian well chuffed with his new to him Corvette.

thumbnail_20210613_121028_resized.jpg

After a while we set off back and Brian says he's going to peel off at the junction for Manchester and go and do some 'posing'

I head for home and as I pull in my phone rings and it's Brian. Disaster, my rear wheel fell off...

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I toss some tools, a jack and axle stands in the car and head over to Costa Coffee near Manchester Airport..

thumbnail_received_882580615630477.jpg

When he had the new tyres mounted the security pin was missing on one...

Got him fixed up and back rolling then stopped five times on the 10 mile journey back home and checked the spinner which needed tightening every time. Small bit of paint damage to the inside lip of the wheel arch so he was very lucky that he pulled over when he felt some vibration..

New pins ordered

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I tell him to pop round to mine and we'll get the new pins in..

thumbnail_20210618_183916_resized.jpg

Clearly he wasn't expecting to do any of the work himself but he did bring Rioja so I let it slide...

We've had a few run outs since and entered it in shows and he even drove to the Nats on Saturday and home again. He thinks a lot of awards are destined for this Corvette and he's truly bitten by the Corvette bug..

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Yesterday was a classic car show at Bodryhddan Hall in North Wales but as Brian had to drop his GF & kid off at the airport he would be late if he made it at all..

Well he did make it rocking up at 1 pm and blew the judges away winning not just best American but Car of the Day too!

thumbnail_20210725_161243_resized_1.jpg

Well done mate.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
How do you load multiple photos?

Anyway.. had a great meet at Billy Bob's and Brian well chuffed with his new to him Corvette.

View attachment 12612

After a while we set off back and Brian says he's going to peel off at the junction for Manchester and go and do some 'posing'

I head for home and as I pull in my phone rings and it's Brian. Disaster, my rear wheel fell off...
Oh shit ! Nasty ! :eek:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I toss some tools, a jack and axle stands in the car and head over to Costa Coffee near Manchester Airport..

View attachment 12613

When he had the new tyres mounted the security pin was missing on one...

Got him fixed up and back rolling then stopped five times on the 10 mile journey back home and checked the spinner which needed tightening every time. Small bit of paint damage to the inside lip of the wheel arch so he was very lucky that he pulled over when he felt some vibration..

New pins ordered
Very very lucky indeed , could have been a disaster ! What an into to Corvette ownership !

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I should add, all of us bar one other declined to have our Corvettes judged but that may not have changed the outcome anyway as it did really 'pop' in the sun yesterday. The non original Marina Blue is a stunning colour

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the story.

What are the ‘pins’? I’ve had knocks offs both pin drive and spline but none have relied on a security pin.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Thanks for the story.

What are the ‘pins’? I’ve had knocks offs both pin drive and spline but none have relied on a security pin.
Don't know if its just on Kelsey Hays knock off's but Brians, mine and two others I know have the pins. 5 half holes on the spinner line up with 5 on the hub so the pins stop the spinner backing off