Oil Filters

HJG

Well-known user
Hi all

What's the deal with engine oil filters? What are people running?
I am in need of one for a '69 427

Cheers

Roscobbc

I generally order-up a few of Summit's branded oil filters for my C3 BB when ordering other stuff - there are differing lengths of filter however - logic tells me that the longer the filter the better......perhaps?

Letank

CCCUK Member
I originally used Fram in mine because of the well known name and them being relatively easy to get hold of in the UK.

However, after reading some US forums and watching some comparison videos on YouTube I was shocked by the poor quality construction. I now only use Wix or Nappa Gold.

I havenโ€™t found Nappa Gold in the UK but have no problem getting Wix (part # 51069) on eBay and similarly priced to the Fram too.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have been using Fram as they are a well known brand that`s been around for ever . I would be interested to know what the quality issues are . But I suppose like most things these days they are manufactured in some East Asian sweat shop :(

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all

What's the deal with engine oil filters? What are people running?
I am in need of one for a '69 427

Cheers
I was told by my vendor of my 72 to use wix filters if available, no fram filters. Couldnt find wix but saw a good video that cut open various cheap and better quality filters and explained the technology. Look at K and n . They came out really good spec and top quality. It convince me so bought a. Knn hp 2002 for my 350 , try their site for a big block application. I thought they only made air filters, and they are recognised as one of the top makes so am sure their oil filters will be of good quality. 26 quid delivered sounds dear possibly by comparisson but oil filtration is surely not to be skimped on .๐Ÿ‘

Roscobbc

The 'issues' Letank refers to with Fram filters were quite well publicised a few years ago on forums etc in the 'States - the issues reported were sufficient enough that I stopped using them too. Would guess by now an 'issues' would have been sorted?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I am a big fan of K & N products having used their air filters and induction kits in the past . I always use K&N oil filters on my Hemi V8 Jeep but have never been able to find one available in the UK for the Corvette .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I am a big fan of K & N products having used their air filters and induction kits in the past . I always use K&N oil filters on my Hemi V8 Jeep but have never been able to find one available in the UK for the Corvette .
Google Knn 2002 hp i think mine was from k & nโ€™s own site. I will check the invoice later. The video explained about evenly spaced pleas, no of pleats and no of squ inches of material, type of material,seal material, etc etc๐Ÿ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Cheers Mad4 (y) Not that I will be needing one for a while as the Corvette hasn`t turned a wheel in anger since I serviced it back in November last year due to this damned lockdown ! :cry:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Cheers Mad4 (y) Not that I will be needing one for a while as the Corvette hasn`t turned a wheel in anger since I serviced it back in November last year due to this damned lockdown ! :cry:
You need to take the odd recreational drive to help keep yourself lockdown sane ๐Ÿ‘

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The problem is , I have to make a recreational drive just to get to it . Then would have to shunt a big race support truck about just to get the car out for a quick spin and then all the palava of putting it back again . Once lockdown is lifted I will be out there rushing about in it willy nilly don`t you worry :D

HJG

Well-known user
Thanks all for the recommendations.
Working at an OEM is frustrating because I have the full engineering data for the cars I engineer so it's frustrating to buy stuff for the cars I actually own because the detailed data I am used to is simply not available.
As an example here, I want to know the filtration efficiency of a filter (x micron at x % efficiency). I can tell you that for a high performance modern engine with a high demand oil flow, this would be something like:
95% 25micron
75% 18micron
50% 14micron

The WIX 51069 filter only specifies a 'nominal micron' value of 21. This means it filters 21micron at at least 50%. A bit ambiguous. However they also very handily specify the Beta ratio expressed as 2/20 = 6/20. Basically this means that it has 50% efficiency at 6microns and 95% efficiency at 20microns.
This type of filter leans a bit more towards filtration over flowrate.

I couldn't find the info for K&N, but I would guess they lean more towards flowrate and as such their filtration efficiency is probably a little lower.