Oil Line Kit - Can you help?

Paul Benton

CCCUK Member
1970 454

Just ordered a new oil line kit (that goes to the oil pressure gauge) for my 1970 big block, the metal tube it comes with is is straight, and it needs to be bent slightly to fit into the bracket (by the side of the manifold). As its such a thin diameter tube I am a little nervous this may kink it, Has anyone done this and do you have any tips i.e. apply some heat?

Diagram attached showing the metal tube bent to shape as it should be.

Kind regards
Paul

Attachments

• Diagram of Kit...pdf
    293.8 KB · Views: 11

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Heat won’t stop it collapsing as you bend it, it’ll just make it easier.

You need a channel of the right diameter to bend it round. Get a piece of wood and a file and make something with a channel in it like this. You don’t need the arm or clamp bits.

F04966C6-2A78-4E59-A617-0509ED21ECF0.jpeg

sublimemike

Well-known user
You could just run the line from the oil gauge to the bracket . I think it joins there with the brass fitting and insert if its the plastic pipe that is faulty. That would save you the problem of bending the metal tube ?

Roscobbc

1970 454

Just ordered a new oil line kit (that goes to the oil pressure gauge) for my 1970 big block, the metal tube it comes with is is straight, and it needs to be bent slightly to fit into the bracket (by the side of the manifold). As its such a thin diameter tube I am a little nervous this may kink it, Has anyone done this and do you have any tips i.e. apply some heat?

Diagram attached showing the metal tube bent to shape as it should be.

Kind regards
Paul
Nylon tube would have removed the need for any bends - you can source the nylon tubing and connections as a replacement kit.....

Paul Benton

CCCUK Member
Thanks everyone; I found it bent quite easily using my hands and gently forming it over a curved surface, and to prevent any chance of developing a kink I first pushed some slightly smaller diameter copper wire (using some oil to make sure it was lubricated) into the full length of the tube; bending it very slightly in small increments and at each stage making sure the inserted wire was not getting trapped; this seems to work well and problem solved. (copper earth wire stripped from 3 core 13 amp house wire was a perfect fit)