Paint blistering

Bigron

CCCUK Member
Hi everyone. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here but hope everyone is well.
my problem is that I have paint blistering all around the hard top roof on my 93 corvette.
it’s had a full respray around 4 years ago and has been back 3 times to have the roof done due to This blistering. We are all at a loss as what the problem is. The whole car is fine just the targa roof all around the edge trims keeps blistering. Has any one else had this problem and any advice would be welcome.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Blistering occurs on fibre glass due to moisture in the paint or excess moisture in the air at the time of spraying, or after the event usually by placing a car cover over the area and trapping moisture, the other way is by osmosis and that is the capillary action of moisture coming through from underneath the fibre glass.
All the paint needs to be removed before repainting and a paint oven utilised to remove any moisture from within the fibre glass.
Custom Exotics are well experienced in dealing with the woes we have with blistering on our Vettes.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The other one is contamination of the fibreglass from oils or silicone and an oven won’t sort those out.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Get it "Wrappped" after rubbing down the blisters? e.g. 3M Carbon Fibre look wrap? Not original but might look nice? Or wrapped in the body colour of the car if you prefer? Have you checked if there is any evidence that the frame is starting to detach from or move about on the central panel? Had that on my '85, but a '93 is a "stiffer" car, so hopefully not?

Last edited:

Bigron

CCCUK Member
Get it "Wrappped" after rubbing down the blisters? e.g. 3M Carbon Fibre look wrap? Not original but might look nice? Or wrapped in the body colour of the car if you prefer? Have you checked if there is any evidence that the frame is starting to detach from or move about on the central panel? Had that on my '85, but a '93 is a "stiffer" car, so hopefully not?
That’s not a bad idea. I will look into it Many thanks.