'Passive' vehicle safety

Roscobbc

Digging through some old photo's I haven't looked at for many years I came across this. Someone has mentioned that he saw a Volvo with this frontal treatment being tested at a car show many years ago at the Essex show ground. Seemingly they drove the car into a shop dummy (presumably reresenting a crash test dummy) - it appears that it all came to a disasterous end when the dummy 'shattered' in to multiple pieces when impacted bt the car........

Saffron Walden - 1976-78. I had just started a 'career' as a sales rep for Xpelair. One of the infrequent calls on my patch was a builders merchant in Station Street. A few doors away was this house with Austin 1100, A35, Hillman Minx and a Renault. Getting in to conversation with the owner and builder of these cars and it seems that he was trying to revolutionise car accident protection. The cars were modified with a pointed front - his logic was that in the case of a head-on collision both cars would be propelled to opposite sides preventing major injuries to occupants. Quite what would have happened to the individual cars after the impact is an interesting thought - as is hitting a pedestrian or cyclist 'full-on' and 'T' boning another vehicle in a side inpact doesn't bear thinking about does it?

20211012_180848.jpg

antijam

CCCUK Member
With the dawn of the airbag era he might have come up with this....

carairbag.jpg

Why have airbags just for passengers? ;)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
There are a few early UK manufacturers experimental safety vehicle prototypes on display in Gaydon Motor Museum . BLMC came with a few including this Austin / Morris 1100 . Not sure if the photo was before or after the collision ! :LOL: austin_1100_1300_1.jpeg