Plug advice

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, just wondering what spark plugs are correct for a 72 350 . Suggestions / recommendations , what do you use/ ? Many thanks 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
AC Delco were specified by General Motors and I stick to that spec . I did a fair bit of research on internet when I first changed my plugs and as you can imagine , there was all sorts of advice and conflicting info about plug choices on various US forums . Some mentioned ignition problems with some brands so I stuck with what GM specified . I believe GM did consider using NGK years ago when there was a strike at the AC Delco factory .What ever brand you choose the critical thing is to make sure you get the correct heat range . I believe there are repro Chinese made AC Delco plugs on the market which are poor quality .

kentvette

CCCUK Member
My manual lists AC44T for a '72 350. I see that The Green Spark Plug Co has AC 44tS in stock
(I'm assuming the "S" denotes "Suppressed"?) I've used the GSP Co on a number of occasions and find them very good, fair prices and quick delivery.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I use R45TS which is specified for the 1985 305 Camaro IROC-Z engine swap in mine . Best price I have found is Malibu Parts in Lechlade , Gloucestershire via Ebay . They have been reliable and very quick delivery .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
My manual lists AC44T for a '72 350. I see that The Green Spark Plug Co has AC 44tS in stock
(I'm assuming the "S" denotes "Suppressed"?) I've used the GSP Co on a number of occasions and find them very good, fair prices and quick delivery.
👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Green SPCo really helpful but only 3 in stock and listed obsolete, gave me the ngk equivalent which they didnt stock but have got some coming tomorrow. Less than three quid each, which ties up with what the previous owner suggested and always used which were ac delco no 26 in the usa and also the cheapest. I will be taking each plug out anyway to check for fouling so seems prudent to replace with new. Hopefully a smooth running motor next test drive . Thanks for advice all.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Green SPCo really helpful but only 3 in stock and listed obsolete, gave me the ngk equivalent which they didnt stock but have got some coming tomorrow. Less than three quid each, which ties up with what the previous owner suggested and always used which were ac delco no 26 in the usa and also the cheapest. I will be taking each plug out anyway to check for fouling so seems prudent to replace with new. Hopefully a smooth running motor next test drive . Thanks for advice all.
Next question,.... any ideas on correct gap ? Thanks again 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
0.35 ins. is spec gap . I believe torque setting for 14mm plug with 13/16th inch hexagonal head is 25 lbs ft. and 15 for 5/8th hexagonal . If you use anti seize paste back the torque off a bit as the lubricating effect will pull up the thread more easily and hence over tighten the plug in the block .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
0.35 ins. is spec gap . I believe torque setting for 14mm plug with 13/16th inch hexagonal head is 25 lbs ft. and 15 for 5/8th hexagonal . If you use anti seize paste back the torque off a bit as the lubricating effect will pull up the thread more easily and hence over tighten the plug in the block .
Thanks chuffer, good info and tip re copperslip and rorque value. 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks chuffer, good info and tip re copperslip and rorque value. 👍
Yeah , worth remembering whenever you use copperslip . I don`t use it in wheel studs for that reason , plus it makes it easier for wheel nuts to loosen . I only apply it mating faces of wheel and hub so they don`t corrode together due the reaction between alloy wheels and steel hubs .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yeah , worth remembering whenever you use copperslip . I don`t use it in wheel studs for that reason , plus it makes it easier for wheel nuts to loosen . I only apply it mating faces of wheel and hub so they don`t corrode together due the reaction between alloy wheels and steel hubs .
Yes, I made that mistake on my z 4 M coupe when I tried to remove an alloy spacer, had welded itself to the hub 😩👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yes, I made that mistake on my z 4 M coupe when I tried to remove an alloy spacer, had welded itself to the hub 😩👍

Ain`t fun is it ? I well remember when I first had my Jaguar XJS and tried to get the wheels off . Tried putting wheel nuts back on loose and gently lowering car to use its weight to break the joints but no joy . Ended up hammering blocks of wood on inside of rims , pry bars and all sorts . :mad:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ain`t fun is it ? I well remember when I first had my Jaguar XJS and tried to get the wheels off . Tried putting wheel nuts back on loose and gently lowering car to use its weight to break the joints but no joy . Ended up hammering blocks of wood on inside of rims , pry bars and all sorts . :mad:
but hey, no fun if it all went easy first time , when I built the buggy I dod most things twice and some 3 times 😩😩🤣👍13414CC4-E486-4E7F-A0AC-4339A8B4099C.png

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just love that buggy (y) I bet that was a real hoot to drive and just the thing for the cool Cornish surf scene :cool: :LOL:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
It isChuffer, no weather gear so its a dry day toy, but draws a lot of waves and smiles, was going to sell to help fund the vette but i have so many hours in it and a fair amount of blood sweat and tears. That I will keep for another summer at least. Just found one of my old boards from the seventies that I am trying to buy back to go with the buggy 👍1F2FD712-A1CF-4132-A2F1-B012AEF0BBAB.jpeg1F2FD712-A1CF-4132-A2F1-B012AEF0BBAB.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Cool ! I thought it was a dead dolphin on the lawn at first glance :ROFLMAO: I wouldn`t want to part that buggy either !
`Hand ten ` dude and stay cool :cool: