Quadrajet Tuning!

pmacleod

Regular user
Hi all!

So I have successfully (I hope...) rebuilt and cleaned my quadrajet carb, and noticed quite a few issues with it that may have caused the poor starting I've had since owning the car. The choke wasn't connected, fast idle cam wasn't working or adjusted to work, idle screws were out at least 5-6 full turns, float was set super high (4/32" where it should be 15/32")... Anyway, got all that done and set the idle screws to 3 full turns. I just need to rewire the choke since the previous owner cut the cable and didn't bother connecting it. I have no clue how best to tune one of these engines. A lot of guides say to adjust until the engine "sounds right" but I don't have that knowledge being a newbie to these cars. I want to learn though, and was wondering if anyone is in my area (Warwickshire) and willing to help tune and teach? The car isn't road legal yet as I'm still in process of registering it, but I want to MOT it asap to aid the application... needless to say, need the carb tuned nice to get through emissions. Thanks! :)