Rack and Pinion C3

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Has anyone fitted Rack and Pinion steering system to their C3. if you have is it worth the money? Having PS problems with mine at the moment, rebuilt the valve, pump was replaced before i bought it. It could still be either of those or even the ram.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I have Steeroids rack and pinion. Better than standard with better straight line certainty. Steering is now heavier at slow speed and slightly reduced turning circle. Less bump steer.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I have the Steeroids Rack and Pinion, It is an improvement over the Steering Box and takes the last bit of play out of the antiquated original system, it is a more direct feel and I do not notice the smaller turning circle, original racks (make unknown) have been known to have bracket mounting failures, but I believe this has now been resolved, one down side is the rag joint goes and now you have a more metal to metal contact, yes it is good feed back but may be a bit of dampening could be added to the mounting points of the rack - the biggest advantage is being able to dial out any bump steer with the steering arms, the track rod ends come with longer bolts and spacers so you can line up the steering arms correctly to give you the correct geometry alignment needed to dial out any bump steer

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
What is the problem ? Is it just excessive play ?
I don't think its excessive play and new belt on the pump. it started off just occasionally getting heavy and then it came back for a while so i thought i might have had air in the system but now its just heavy. Im going to live with it for a while and play around a little before i make a decision on what to do.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
You would feel excessive play around the `straight ahead` position of the steering wheel if it was just a case of tightening up the steering box adjustment . If it`s heavy that does suggest a pump / fluid / ram problem .

Dazaa

Well-known user
Just replace your system with a Borgeson steering box, much easier than a rack and pinion install and they're used on plenty of autocross cars.