Rear engine oil leak

Tom77

Regular user
Hello there!

I have noticed a substantial oil leak that appears to be coming from either crankshaft rear main seal, or oil pan gasket, (it’s a 383 stroker)

car hasnt been properly driven in almost a year, as I had it shipped over from AZ,

No leak before I took it out for a drive, after I did a simple oil change and took it up to 65mph, I pulled over and noticed the leak.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Tom77

Attachments

• 5E74C359-4C0C-4284-A377-97E2FCB09A5C.jpeg
    5E74C359-4C0C-4284-A377-97E2FCB09A5C.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 17

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I think you already know the likely culprits. With a little camera you may be able to see if it’s coming from the sump or crank seal.

Roscobbc

Hmmmm - its not too unusual for a stroker engine to have a higher crankcase pressure and potential windage issues due to the larger diameter and mass of the rotating assembly - piston 'blow-past' is another possibility. Oil leaks from the increased internal pressure are one clue - PCV system if stock may not be up the job and not venting-off the increased pressure. Only saying as a buddy had this issue with a 383 and I had it with my 489 - not saying that's your issue - but its one that eludes many people.........

Tom77

Regular user
Thanks for the heads up on the PCV system. Was assuming due to the amount of oil (it’s rather a slow pour) right at the crankshaft rear seal location, it was that.

Unsure if it’s a split 2 piece seal or a single. May take oil pan off for a closer look, also iv head dropping the transmission for access can be a pain without the removable crossmember?
I would like to be able to drop trans in the future anyway for clutch work etc. is there an easy way around this?