Rear muffler query.

TimP

CCCUK Member
I always find it strange to see a mix of decimal and imperial but it did remind me of a new trainee air conditioning engineer I trained. I asked him to measure a wall to find the centre so we could hang a wall mounted unit. He came back and said 8 mtrs, 7 foot and 4 inches. That was probably near 40 years ago and he's still with us and one of the best engineers out there.
Similarly it's a bit odd that we buy tyres that are imperial in diameter and metric in width.

I was still at primary school when the UK started preparation for metrication in 1971 (I think). We learned both metric and imperial measures for about three years prior to this but recited all measurements, volume (gills, quarts) and linear (chains, furlongs etc), twice a day every day from aged 6 to 11. I can still recite them now. I think this is the main reason I tend to think of any dimension less than a foot in metric and anything greater in imperial.

Roscobbc

Decimalisation was a significant cause and effect of decimaliation back 'in the day'. Effect, because businesses, both large and small, shops, in fact anything you would purchase became victims of 'rounding-up', where the 'imperial' price was converted to 'decimal' and then rounded-up (never, ever 'rounded down). So, for example an item in old money costing, say £1/12s/6d (so 1 pound - 12 shillings and 6 'old' pence) would directly converted to £1-62 -1/2 'new' pence in the decimal money. It was such an easy move for the traders, retailers etc to 'round off' up to £1-70p, £1-75p, perhaps even £1-80p........and so rampant inflation started......

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Similarly it's a bit odd that we buy tyres that are imperial in diameter and metric in width.

I was still at primary school when the UK started preparation for metrication in 1971 (I think). We learned both metric and imperial measures for about three years prior to this but recited all measurements, volume (gills, quarts) and linear (chains, furlongs etc), twice a day every day from aged 6 to 11. I can still recite them now. I think this is the main reason I tend to think of any dimension less than a foot in metric and anything greater in imperial.
Don`t forget poles and perches too .

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Air condioning pipes are 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4 7/8 1 1/8 1 3/8 1 5/8 2 1/8 etc but the insulation is 6mm 9mm 12mm 15mm 19mm etc..

Seems to be several mixed combos and yes the tyres is a prime example.

A pint will always be a pint though 🍺

Roscobbc

Air condioning pipes are 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4 7/8 1 1/8 1 3/8 1 5/8 2 1/8 etc but the insulation is 6mm 9mm 12mm 15mm 19mm etc..

Seems to be several mixed combos and yes the tyres is a prime example.

A pint will always be a pint though 🍺
Odd really that totally metric sized tyres historically have 'flopped' - thinking about the 190/65R390 as fiitted to some Mk 2 Granada's, 230/55/ZR390 fitted to some BMW's