Red interior & paint fading problems

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I'm viewing this red on red '80 soon and I'm worried this is going to be an issue. I'll probably need to buy new carpet for the front and behind the seats where the sun hits most but is this something that can be fixed with a product? It'll just fade again after a few years. I wonder if the exterior will fade quickly from sunny car shows.

Roscobbc

Has the car been garaged in the past? - willit be garaged in the future? - if so exposure to sunlight will be limited - don't think that paintwork will be an issue unless someone has re-s[rayerd using a dodgy paint mix.......

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Based on the photos that are on the sellers site alone, the paint actually doesn't look too bad, so maybe a good polish will bring it up. Like any red painted with "old" paint, it'll probably need regular polishing to keep it sharp. If you do put new carpets in, I doubt they will be affected by the UK sun in the same way as, say, a car based in Florida! That goes for the leather and trim parts. Clearly it needs new seat covers, and they should stay fresh for years.

I suspect that they be other more pressing items to consider though, the rear suspension looks to need some inspection, and there will be a good deal of tidying and examination needed under the bonnet. and yes, there is the chassis etc.... Not wanting to put a damper on your hopes, but you may be a while before you are at a car show. :)

You mentioned in one of your other threads that you have most of the info needed for your viewing - I assume you have a copy of the club's C3 Buyers Guide?

By the way, I noticed the cover/locking ring from the distributor cap is laying in the wiper well - you may want to put that somewhere safe when you view the car, in case you buy it and need it later!

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Based on the photos that are on the sellers site alone, the paint actually doesn't look too bad, so maybe a good polish will bring it up. Like any red painted with "old" paint, it'll probably need regular polishing to keep it sharp. If you do put new carpets in, I doubt they will be affected by the UK sun in the same way as, say, a car based in Florida! That goes for the leather and trim parts. Clearly it needs new seat covers, and they should stay fresh for years.

I suspect that they be other more pressing items to consider though, the rear suspension looks to need some inspection, and there will be a good deal of tidying and examination needed under the bonnet. and yes, there is the chassis etc.... Not wanting to put a damper on your hopes, but you may be a while before you are at a car show. :)

You mentioned in one of your other threads that you have most of the info needed for your viewing - I assume you have a copy of the club's C3 Buyers Guide?

By the way, I noticed the cover/locking ring from the distributor cap is laying in the wiper well - you may want to put that somewhere safe when you view the car, in case you buy it and need it later!

I only noticed a few chips. I hope the carpet doesn't fade and I can find a good product to spray on every few months or so to delay it. It's ok there won't be any car shows for a good while. I don't have the buyer's book because Youtube does the job. Thanks for noticing the cap! My eyes were too focused on the paint.

antijam

CCCUK Member
The carpet in my '71 convertible was quite badly faded from sun exposure. I refurbished it in situ with Autoglym aerosol black carpet dye and it's come up very well. Black carpets are an easy colour match; red dyes are available but it may be difficult to get a good match.

Alben78

Well-known user
For 40 year old red carpets the bits you can see
don’t look too bad. My 78 looks much the same colour by 60A64772-9806-430F-AA37-85C73E16EE25.jpegCA3B89C1-6E4C-432B-9E15-BFD689BDE207.jpegCA3B89C1-6E4C-432B-9E15-BFD689BDE207.jpegcomparison in the attached pics. I think red always starts to fade to an orangy colour over time and perhaps a good clean with a wet vac will brighten the carpets up. There are fabric sprays available but the ones I have seen in use only seem to work with black, anything else tends to be a different colour depending what material is being sprayed, ie vinyl door cards, carpet hard plastic or “leather”. If I have the right car I would be more concerned with the mechanicals than the interior as it looks like Bubba has been at some parts.
Best of luck.