Registering a fresh import C3 - few questions please?

Last triumph

Well-known user
My '81 will be arriving late in May and I just want to check the registration process.

The Gov website says I have to include a MOT, however the car is MOT exempt being 40+ years old - do I just omit the MOT and assume common sense will prevail?

Also, the V55/5 asks for all sorts of info from the certificate of conformity, which it won't have - again, do I just leave these areas blank?

If I understand it correctly, despite the car being over 40 years old (March build) I will still have to pay RFL for the balance of this year as the historic RFL status kicks in annually, not on the actual anniversary of build/registration?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I would personally get a MOT on the vehicle. That way you will know exactly what it needs doing to it.
Don’t worry about the conformity bit, it’s not needed.
I think you may have to pay the road fund license, I haven’t registered any cars that close to 40 years in a while.

Put date of first registration as 1/1/81, the DVLA does not usually require proof of exact date, as US titles do not state such information, they only specify year of manufacture.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was registered before 8 January 1981, you do not need to pay vehicle tax from 1 April 2021.

The above was taken from the DVLA website.
When you fill in vehicle first registration put 01/01/81. So as it was registered before the 8th Jan 1981 you will not have to pay road tax.

Hope this helps.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Thanks - appreciate the comments re MOT, but from a paperwork standpoint, can I get it registered without - do I just submit without and assume it will go through?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The DVLA website is not clear on this matter. It only states cars over 40 years not needed.
As the DVLA is now taking a lot longer to register newly imported cars it could delay the registration process by months if they feel its necessary. Sometimes one individual will do it without, while another individual will not. Especially when the 40 year threshold is soo close. 1981-2021.

Last triumph

Well-known user
The DVLA website is not clear on this matter. It only states cars over 40 years not needed.
As the DVLA is now taking a lot longer to register newly imported cars it could delay the registration process by months if they feel its necessary. Sometimes one individual will do it without, while another individual will not. Especially when the 40 year threshold is soo close. 1981-2021.
I guess a covering letter with print offs of their own legislation should, in theory, remove any ambiguity surrounding need of MOT.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just read all through the no MOT requirement, and it just states cars 40+ years MOT exempt.
It would be a 50/50 toss up.
Depends on how quickly you want the car registered.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Just read all through the no MOT requirement, and it just states cars 40+ years MOT exempt.
It would be a 50/50 toss up.
Depends on how quickly you want the car registered.
ASAP naturally, but having also just found the wording on the on the gov website...

...they're pretty clear as "Registered more than 40 year ago", so I don't believe (famous last words), that it would be an issue.

I dare say I could phone up to double check interpretation of the wording in advance.

With C19 restrictions beginning to lift, I wonder what the current turn round times are?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve personally never had a date of first registration date rejected when I’ve put 01/01/XX. So if the date of 01/01/81 is accepted by the DVLA then they should also accept the 40 year MOT no needed rule.
Hopefully all will be OK, but you never can tell with government departments.

Last triumph

Well-known user
How comes? Project or ready to drive? Any pics? Congrats!
I couldn't find an unrestored, all original survivor 4 speed chrome bumper car for my budget after hours of searching daily for 9 months. They're out there, but I kept missing them due to the flipper vultures snapping them up from Facebook or Craig's List within hours of them being listed, preventing me from doing any due diligence to prevent getting burned or scammed.

In the end, this car found me. Whilst a chrome car would've been nice, I've always adored the shape of the '80-'82, so when a 4 speed, unrestored survivor with 2 owners, always garaged, pampered and 42k miles came up at the right price, in black with silver leather, it was an easy decision. Car is a fully running, driving, survivor with just genuine wear and tear.

Roscobbc

For an easy dating reference run the vin number through this for date of manufacture
I did many dating letters for members during my tenure as CCCUK chairman. 99% were accepted by DVLA. Current Chairman Rich Rogers I'm sure will help you - and yes, DVLA tend to apply the 40 year 'thing' for exemption of RFL payment at the 'end' of a 40 year period - rather than when it just 'breaks 40 years. If your lucky the car will have been a post August 1980 manufacture?

Last triumph

Well-known user
For an easy dating reference run the vin number through this for date of manufacture
I did many dating letters for members during my tenure as CCCUK chairman. 99% were accepted by DVLA. Current Chairman Rich Rogers I'm sure will help you - and yes, DVLA tend to apply the 40 year 'thing' for exemption of RFL payment at the 'end' of a 40 year period - rather than when it just 'breaks 40 years. If your lucky the car will have been a post August 1980 manufacture?
It's a March '81 build, so MOT exempt, but not 'Historic' until next Jan - no biggie.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I couldn't find an unrestored, all original survivor 4 speed chrome bumper car for my budget after hours of searching daily for 9 months. They're out there, but I kept missing them due to the flipper vultures snapping them up from Facebook or Craig's List within hours of them being listed, preventing me from doing any due diligence to prevent getting burned or scammed.

In the end, this car found me. Whilst a chrome car would've been nice, I've always adored the shape of the '80-'82, so when a 4 speed, unrestored survivor with 2 owners, always garaged, pampered and 42k miles came up at the right price, in black with silver leather, it was an easy decision. Car is a fully running, driving, survivor with just genuine wear and tear.
I’ve had totally the opposite remark said to me many times over the years, “ it’s all you foreign/European buyers buying up all our cars making it hard for us ( Americans ) to buy them”. And we the foreigner was willing to pay the asking price or even more due to what that car was worth once exported.
Now of course the tide has turned, and American muscle is worth more on home soil than it is abroad, certainly once shipping and taxes are taken into account. Reasonable cars are still about, it’s just getting harder finding them.

Last triumph

Well-known user
I’ve had totally the opposite remark said to me many times over the years, “ it’s all you foreign/European buyers buying up all our cars making it hard for us ( Americans ) to buy them”. And we the foreigner was willing to pay the asking price or even more due to what that car was worth once exported.
Now of course the tide has turned, and American muscle is worth more on home soil than it is abroad, certainly once shipping and taxes are taken into account. Reasonable cars are still about, it’s just getting harder finding them.
I found the entire process quite eye opening to be honest.

One thing I did learn is that there are a lot of very angry, short tempered and irritable sellers over there with zero patience or willingness to answer even basic questions.

I did however engage with some truly wonderful people though, who were exceptionally helpful and willing to go above and beyond the call to help a fellow enthusiast.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think that description of sellers can relate to people all over the world. They get tired of the tire kickers, I’ll let you know, let me think about it etc. and after a while they get fed up with it. The professional dealers see it all the time, and unfortunately the genuine buyers get taken into that category. Especially foreign buyers in the US. and even more so when it’s done over the phone or in more modern times via email. Face to face it’s not so much. But’
I’ve had sellers face to face say No to a sale even at the full asking price when they know I’m going to export there car.
We live in a weird word, and it takes all sorts.