Relocating fire extinquisher

Roscobbc

'Er indoors keeps complaing about a rather large red object getting inbetween her legs when she attempts to get in the car. As you'll see from the attched photo the fire extinquisher is mounted with its bracket in the only place that seemed free (in front of passenger seat) and allowed quick access in the unfortunate event of a fire. Mounting behind the seats is problematical if I want access to stow T tops, and rear window, let alone the three battery, tool and nic-nac storage lids. I do have an idea...........

Attachments

• DSCF1555.jpg
    DSCF1555.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That reminds me of the old joke about the GPO motorbike :ROFLMAO: ( only those of us who are a certain age will get that !)
I have fitted my extinguisher behind the drivers seat mounted facing forwards as close as possible to side of stowage area . It has to be taken out of the clips to open battery but that`s no big deal and allows it to be accessed quickly in an emergency . Being a 1980 car it only has the battery box a storage box . It allows plenty of room to stow the T tops .

Roscobbc

That reminds me of the old joke about the GPO motorbike :ROFLMAO: ( only those of us who are a certain age will get that !)
I have fitted my extinguisher behind the drivers seat mounted facing forwards as close as possible to side of stowage area . It has to be taken out of the clips to open battery but that`s no big deal and allows it to be accessed quickly in an emergency . Being a 1980 car it only has the battery box a storage box . It allows plenty of room to stow the T tops .
That's probably where I'll need to locate it (drivers side) - someone in the past has installed UKspec' retractive seat belts - drivers side and passenger sides are 'handed' - so, passenger side has part of the retracting mechanism higher than drivers side (so I'll need to affix extinquisher to drivers side) - don't have an issue with battery lid - but do have a issue with rear window storage compartment under rear deck (will need to 'unclip' extinquisher from its fixing bracket to open it - in the scale of things - no big deal)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
On a different note - how does the rear window come out on the 68? I've popped the two brackets clips either side and thought it would come out. I also have a key lock on the outside just behind the rear window on the driver's side on the driver's side part of the sugar scoop upright bit. But I have no key for that. Is it to do with that, or is it because maybe Bubba has sillacone gelled it in or something? I didn't want to force it just in case.

Roscobbc

Hi Capt - the only retaining method for the rear window is the two catches in the top of the frame. Go careful with this - they are Mazak and potentially fragile - I've broken a couple of these - there are two or three upgrades to these on early, late '68 and 69 cars. Its only the operating lever that snaps - careful use of a screwdriver to release the catch is simple enough. This is all there is to it!
Rear%20Window%20001.jpg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Hi Capt - the only retaining method for the rear window is the two catches in the top of the frame. Go careful with this - they are Mazak and potentially fragile - I've broken a couple of these - there are two or three upgrades to these on early, late '68 and 69 cars. Its only the operating lever that snaps - careful use of a screwdriver to release the catch is simple enough. This is all there is to it!
Thanks for that. My two catches do operate fine and release, but I was unsure how the window itself came out afterwards. Pull in and remove from inside the cabin, or push it outwards and remove from outside the car? Mine also seems to have some silicone sealant around the base of it. So I suspect Bubba has stuck it in there.

Oh and apologies for highjacking your extinguisher thread. :whistle:

Roscobbc

Undo the catches, hook your arm over the rear of the 'T' bar whilst still in car - push the top of the rear screen inwards - it will 'pivot' back on its two location spikes. Then simply lift it out through cabin. Replacement is simple enough - it only goes in one way.

Roscobbc

Didn't continue with the fire extinquisher re-location as I would have needed to roll the car out of the garage to get access to drivers side.
Anyway it was warm enough to do some work on the car in the garage (and leave the extinquisher for another day) - sod's law is that the heater fan stopped working a couple of weeks ago just when I needed it in the colder weather. These cars have a life and 'personality' all of their own.......I've had this issue several times in my 20 years of ownership and a fiddle/wiggle of positive and earth terminals usually does the job. Not today however - took the centre console apart and checked connections to the multi position fan switch.....and nothing. So put it all back together......very gently (old vinyl and the plastic core of the console does degrade and will fall apart if not careful) - and did a final 'wiggle' test on positive terminal on heater blower before removal...........and the fan worked.........and continued to work after some more 'wiggling' - albeit on fast speed only. A further 'wiggle' procedure on fan switch and the intermediate speeds re-appeared! - how long for is another matter - at least I know the two sources of the problems. One of the 4 '68 specific rear light assemblies is like that - even after re-wring/re-earthing it wouldn't come on without a 'slap' to the rear deck (onlookers are frequently amused) - 20 years later and it still has the 'quirk' - don't you just love it all.......cars with personalities :p 😱

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Didn't continue with the fire extinquisher re-location as I would have needed to roll the car out of the garage to get access to drivers side.
Anyway it was warm enough to do some work on the car in the garage (and leave the extinquisher for another day) - sod's law is that the heater fan stopped working a couple of weeks ago just when I needed it in the colder weather. These cars have a life and 'personality' all of their own.......I've had this issue several times in my 20 years of ownership and a fiddle/wiggle of positive and earth terminals usually does the job. Not today however - took the centre console apart and checked connections to the multi position fan switch.....and nothing. So put it all back together......very gently (old vinyl and the plastic core of the console does degrade and will fall apart if not careful) - and did a final 'wiggle' test on positive terminal on heater blower before removal...........and the fan worked.........and continued to work after some more 'wiggling' - albeit on fast speed only. A further 'wiggle' procedure on fan switch and the intermediate speeds re-appeared! - how long for is another matter - at least I know the two sources of the problems. One of the 4 '68 specific rear light assemblies is like that - even after re-wring/re-earthing it wouldn't come on without a 'slap' to the rear deck (onlookers are frequently amused) - 20 years later and it still has the 'quirk' - don't you just love it all.......cars with personalities :p 😱
I think that`s why all old mechanical things and classic cars are referred to as "she" ! :ROFLMAO:
:love: when they work and call them a bitch when they don