Replacement key and fob recommendations???

Krusty

Well-known user
Hi everyone, I only have 1 key and fob for my C5. The style of which is pictured below 👇20230729_125520.jpg
I want to know where in the UK (or elsewhere) I can get a replacement set from (key AND fob)???
It has a little chip of some sort in the metal part of the key as you can see... not sure if this is significant or not when ordering a replacement??? Maybe someone can give me some info on that one 🤞😬🤞
It is a 2001 C5 Targa from Japan (genuine GM Japan vehicle) if that makes any difference with anything 🤷‍♂️

Thanks, Ste.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That is a VATS security resistor in the key
IF it is dirty it will cause starting problems, make sure it is clean

As to making another Key
If you have somewhere local to you that make vehicle keys, they could measure the resistance of the pellet
GM only used 15 different resistor pellets so once they know that resistance value they could select the correct key and then cut to clone to yours

If no one local, using an OHM meter with the 2 probes on each side and write down what the OHMs reading is

Once you get your reading, match the resistance value measured by your ohm meter to the resistance value in the right column of the chart shown below. The resistance value measured by your ohm meter will probably not match any of the resistance values in the chart, but your resistance value should be very close to one resistance value in the chart (usually no more than 3 to 5 percent difference).

The closest resistance value in the chart to your measured resistance value will correspond to the correct VATS code used in your car as long as you measured your key correctly. The corresponding code number is the identification number of your VATS code. It will be a number between 1 and 15.

It is very important that you know how to use an ohmmeter in order to measure your key correctly. You must know the difference between ohm and kohm, and you must know which meter setting to use and how to read your meter. Measuring your VATS key and determining your VATS code is your responsibility. The information I present here is for educational purposes only, and Vatskey.com is not responsible if you order the wrong VATS code.

VATS Code:
Resistance Value In Ohms:

Once you know the VATS code from the chart, you could buy a blank GM key that has the code resistor pellet and have any locksmith cut new keys

Here is a vendor that sells the blank GM keys to select one that has the same VATS code as yours

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
As to your FOB

It depends on if the C5 you have was to USA specs or not
The difference is the US FOB and VATS security frequency used is different,
so a replacement US FOB would not work if the C5 was for outside the USA
So you need to first find out which frequency your FOB sends out and then buying spare ones are cheap, places like Amazon have them
The FOB you show looks different from the FOBs of my 1999 C5

OR turn off VATs so any key without a pellet would work
If you wanted it off, Keith of Eurovettes works with me and I do custom tunes for him, so you could go to him
and I would turn VATS off within the PCMs calibration tune

He is moving back to the USA in about 5 weeks, so would have to be done before he moves

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That key looks filthy, use some type of cleaner but not having any type of oil as
that will change the value of that pellet and prevent startups

vatskey.jpg

Krusty

Well-known user
That key looks filthy, use some type of cleaner but not having any type of oil as
that will change the value of that pellet and prevent startups

View attachment 23502

The current key and fob work fine. It isn't dirty... just the way the light is reflecting on it I guess? It has never gave me a starting issue either.
But I would like a spare set incase I lost these or anything else that results in needing to use my spare set.

Best the option of having the VATS removed if that's a possibility... then I can just get a key cut as you've suggested.
So what about the fob? Would the fob be totally redundant if the VATS was removed? because I would still like to lock/unlock my car with the buttons on the fob...
If the fob remains then how do I find out what frequency it requires?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Turning off Vats is done in the PCM which decides if commanding the engine to start or not
and what pellet in key is for, no pellet is needed when tuned off as my C5 has been for over 20 years

The FOBs have their own wireless controller and talks to the BCM as to locking or unlocking the doors and hatch
so FOBS still work when turning VATS off in the PCM

433.92Mhz is the Euro spec frequency, which is stamped on the back of the FOB. Japan also uses the Europe 433.92 Mhz
so if that is where your C5 came from, I'd slant that is the Europe FOB model

USA domestic version is 315MHz.

You need to find which yours is before buying others

Being as you see the back of my American FOB it lists the model number
Yours does not, so either that is the Europe one or some 3rd party one that did not list its model number

Does the front of your FOB look like mine ?

Maybe if you take the back off where the battery is, there is listing which it is ?

One of my FOBs for 1999 C5

C5FOBs.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here are 2 other places that sell the blank keys once you measure the pellet to know which one

Also

As you can see, your FOB design has fewer functions as to buttons and switch as stock GM ones
Also, the FOBs starting in 2001 MY are different from 1997 to 2000 ones

My 1999 C5
99fob.jpg

Yours

110608.jpg

So I still think your FOB is the Japan version at the 433 Mhz model

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
And if you want to play detective

Here is the clock crystal used in your FOB
Using an oscilloscope or any frequency measuring tool is use the to probe to the soldering points of crystal while pushing one of the button switches
and see if the crystal outputs if the American or Europe frequency and knowing that to be able to select the correct FOB when buying another

Or via cyberspace search to see if tracking down the part number of crystal from Japan

110620.jpg

oelarse

Well-known user
It is also possible to veryify the FOB freq. using an Autel TPMS tool .
I used my Autel to verify my second FOB that was not working .After cleaning contacts on the circuit board I checked using my Autel like this and it displayed the frequenz like this.A tyreshop should verify this in few seconds :)

tmps.jpg

Last edited: