Replacing stereo/ ICE

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
I am trying to find a way to replace the current Bose system in my 95, at the moment radio is ok, as is cassette player, but CD has that annoying ERR message all the time now and will not play CDs at all. I am also, from time to time, getting that popping/crackling noise, so guessing the whole system on the way out. I wanted to get a simple MP3 type system so I don't have to remove and replace the whole thing, found this on Amazon, but guessing it plays thru the current system, so no good. Ideally I just want a simple self contained system, probably powered via the cigar lighter socket, and ideas?
This is the Amazon one

Rob59C1

Administrator
Hi Mick,
I bought a similar device from Amazon but it does play through your existing system.
Mine works fine if I link my phone via Bluetooth but the hands free isn't too successful as the mike is in the unit and the noise of the V8 overpowers it.
The satnav apps work well interrupting the music but not if your playing from a usb stick.
That might be my particular device though.
However, if your Bose system is playing up it may be a non starter.
The Bose system has a head unit, a separate unit under the dash passenger side and an amplifier/crossover at each of the speakers.
I understand that it is usually the capacitors in the individual amplifiers/crossovers that deteriorate with age and need replacing.
Kits are available but I think you would need to be a bit of a whiz with a soldering iron.
Check out YouTube.
Hope this helps a little.
Rob

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Thanks Rob, I defo don't want to attempt removing any of the Bose system bits etc, had a look, total nightmare to me!! At the moment it's holding its own, though as I said, CD totally useless, just ERR everytime. Cassette play ok, and radio, but from time to time, get the rice crispies (crackle and pop :) ) noises. I shall keep looking, there's got to be something simple that can be used in place.

Redlevel

Well-known user
Hi Mick..
I bought a few as stocking fillers for grandkids to use as pc/phone speakers but when I heard the sound quality off that wee bass bin, I got myself one.
Mine cost a whopping £8 (seriously) and I just fit it with a micro sd card full of music.
It sits speaker side down in the cup holder to enhance the bass, plugged into a USB adapter in the cig socket to keep it charged.
The ICE purists will hate it as its so cheap, but it really does walk the walk!
Total bargain..
I use it in the garden too when I'm working and have it hanging off a tree.. 👍

Last edited:

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member

Redlevel

Well-known user
It only plays mp3's or wma music files. I digitised most of my favourites off CD's or downloaded from Amazon Music onto a micro sd card. When I switch it on it just finds the card and starts playing.
It has an FM radio scanner too but I've never used that function..20200928_114455.jpg