Richard Harris

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Richard Harris was like many of us a massive Corvette enthusiast who sadly passed away in January after a heroic battle with Cancer. Interacting on many Corvette social platforms I know extended his life and sharing the journey of having his 1966 L72 fettled through last year leading up to NCRS judging in December drew a huge audience.

I first met Richard at the Corvette Nationals in 2018, one of the rare occasions he displayed his Corvette and I was captivated by the shear beauty of the “Nassau Nightmare” as he referred to it. I became good friends with Richard over the years and we helped each other out with Corvette related questions and he came to my rescue with a set of spinners after I damaged one only charging me a fraction of their actual worth.

I never heard him utter a derogatory comment on any Corvette whether a Top Flight classic, project, or the latest and greatest super car. Every Corvette to Richard was an equal.

I always jokingly teased Richard that I wanted to buy the Nassau Nightmare but I knew full well he would never sell it even though he could not drive it in his later years and relied on his son or another to take him for a ride. Out of respect I waited until recently to contact Judith, Richards Widow having been prompted by Rich Rogers and put in touch by Tom Falconer and I was very nervous making the call. I have been waiting for you to call Judith said, Richard said you would call and he wanted you to be the next caretaker. The deal was done in very short order and tomorrow is collection day.

It is sad that these cars only come to market when the owner has passed away. I wish it were different and Richard was still around. This will again only come to market when I expire and, in the meantime, I’ll treasure it and drive it and when I do, I’ll think of Richard.

Rest in peace mate and I will catch up with you on the other side.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
This is an opportune post, as I was going through some of my old paperwork relating to the formation and early days of the Kent Area group (1992) and the NCRS UK Chapter (1997). Richard was in fact the first member of the Kent group, following our meeting in '91 and we were both founder members of the UK NCRS Chapter. June & I attended events with Richard and a very young Mark all over the Southern half of the country in the days when Richard had his first Corvette, a '76. I remember the purchase of the '66 and the ensuing restoration, after a couple of years of "proper" use! As well as being a stalwart of the Kent group and of course, the NCRS UK Chapter, he became a great friend - (I used the pit in his garage for a whole week on one occasion and remember "bumping into" the family in San Bernadino back in the 90s when we were attending the Route 66 Reunion there!) and, he was massively helpful with the process of our move here to France, and so we think of him often. The restoration of the '66 became a true labour of love, and it was definitely not easily achieved, Richard requiring everything to be perfect! I was able to judge the car a couple of times during my time with the NCRS and I always regarded it as probably the best all round car in the UK. So, you have big shoes to fill Stuart, but the car has I think, gone to a good home now and will I'm sure be treasured, but also hopefully, given the occasional run out on a nice dry day!

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
This is an opportune post, as I was going through some of my old paperwork relating to the formation and early days of the Kent Area group (1992) and the NCRS UK Chapter (1997). Richard was in fact the first member of the Kent group, following our meeting in '91 and we were both founder members of the UK NCRS Chapter. June & I attended events with Richard and a very young Mark all over the Southern half of the country in the days when Richard had his first Corvette, a '76. I remember the purchase of the '66 and the ensuing restoration, after a couple of years of "proper" use! As well as being a stalwart of the Kent group and of course, the NCRS UK Chapter, he became a great friend - (I used the pit in his garage for a whole week on one occasion and remember "bumping into" the family in San Bernadino back in the 90s when we were attending the Route 66 Reunion there!) and, he was massively helpful with the process of our move here to France, and so we think of him often. The restoration of the '66 became a true labour of love, and it was definitely not easily achieved, Richard requiring everything to be perfect! I was able to judge the car a couple of times during my time with the NCRS and I always regarded it as probably the best all round car in the UK. So, you have big shoes to fill Stuart, but the car has I think, gone to a good home now and will I'm sure be treasured, but also hopefully, given the occasional run out on a nice dry day!
Thanks for that Stephen, very interesting. I did notice a short note from you to Richard in the file from quite some time ago. Just about to leave for Kent now but I'll dig it out soon and send a pic.

Cheers,

Stuart

Roscobbc

Always a difficult thing when a friend and/or fellow club member passes away - one doen't wish to appearing cold and perhaps inconsiderate and make that first tentative enquiry (and also being available in the right place/time for the loved ones that 'works' for departed's partner and family) - yet being mindful perhaps of other people perhaps who perhaps will want to move it on for a profit. This car have a far more special meaning for you and other members with such a loving history.......enjoy Stuart!

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Thanks Ross. I know Richard was keen for it to stay in the club and indeed country. Arrived in Kent feeling shattered in a rather dingy Premier Inn that smells of cat piss (I think?) Never been one to make a fuss of my birthday but today ranks pretty low on the scale. Hoping for an uneventful day tomorrow starting at 6

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Thanks Ross. I know Richard was keen for it to stay in the club and indeed country. Arrived in Kent feeling shattered in a rather dingy Premier Inn that smells of cat piss (I think?) Never been one to make a fuss of my birthday but today ranks pretty low on the scale. Hoping for an uneventful day tomorrow starting at 6
Happy birthday Stuart! Enjoy (well, not the room) 😉

Rich

Administrator
Pleased it's worked out for Richard's family. Always a tricky situation. Happy birthday. Safe journey home. Hope you got a refund on your room. Don't worry - the smell of cat pee will go. Just give it time and keep away from people.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Phew. Home, truck an hour or so behind. Had to drive it a mile and a bit to where the truck could load. Not great on 40+ year old partially inflated tyres that were put on for the Dec flight judging but by god, the noise o_O

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
When I went down two weeks ago I came back with a car load of spares and a decent amount of paperwork but said to Judith I think there's more have a look please. Jackpot hit with a ton more stuff and 6 (SIX) sets of keys 😳 Tucked up with the others now and I'm fooked

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Richard Harris was like many of us a massive Corvette enthusiast who sadly passed away in January after a heroic battle with Cancer. Interacting on many Corvette social platforms I know extended his life and sharing the journey of having his 1966 L72 fettled through last year leading up to NCRS judging in December drew a huge audience.

I first met Richard at the Corvette Nationals in 2018, one of the rare occasions he displayed his Corvette and I was captivated by the shear beauty of the “Nassau Nightmare” as he referred to it. I became good friends with Richard over the years and we helped each other out with Corvette related questions and he came to my rescue with a set of spinners after I damaged one only charging me a fraction of their actual worth.

I never heard him utter a derogatory comment on any Corvette whether a Top Flight classic, project, or the latest and greatest super car. Every Corvette to Richard was an equal.

I always jokingly teased Richard that I wanted to buy the Nassau Nightmare but I knew full well he would never sell it even though he could not drive it in his later years and relied on his son or another to take him for a ride. Out of respect I waited until recently to contact Judith, Richards Widow having been prompted by Rich Rogers and put in touch by Tom Falconer and I was very nervous making the call. I have been waiting for you to call Judith said, Richard said you would call and he wanted you to be the next caretaker. The deal was done in very short order and tomorrow is collection day.

It is sad that these cars only come to market when the owner has passed away. I wish it were different and Richard was still around. This will again only come to market when I expire and, in the meantime, I’ll treasure it and drive it and when I do, I’ll think of Richard.

Rest in peace mate and I will catch up with you on the other side.
A heartfelt eulogy and a brilliant result in that this particular c2 is ending up in the place that seems most fitting for the PO’’s family and you stuart. Perfect ending to your chase.
When I went down two weeks ago I came back with a car load of spares and a decent amount of paperwork but said to Judith I think there's more have a look please. Jackpot hit with a ton more stuff and 6 (SIX) sets of keys 😳 Tucked up with the others now and I'm fooked
what a great adventure with great background based on a long friendship. I bet this scenario has softened the family’s loss somewhat knowing that the car has ended up where it has 👍

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
A heartfelt eulogy and a brilliant result in that this particular c2 is ending up in the place that seems most fitting for the PO’’s family and you stuart. Perfect ending to your chase.

what a great adventure with great background based on a long friendship. I bet this scenario has softened the family’s loss somewhat knowing that the car has ended up where it has 👍
Nice Gary, thanks.

Judith is happy it's in safe hands that will keep the enormous amount of stuff in one place. We had to drive a mile or so to load it up and she got quite emotional seeing it on the road for as she said the first time in many years but then said again it was good to see it being used and it will continue to be. Installed the knock off's today which have 'newer' tyres than the truck tyres on the steels wheels. Left to go fuel up and a shake down drive and run out of petrol on the one mile trip to the Esso in the village. Wife came out with a can. Clearly its a fuel guzzling monster as I took a gallon on Wed to make sure it had some but that lasted all of 3 miles 🤭 had a five mile jaunt top down which is a first for me. I'd like to say my hair got in my eyes but not much chance of that! It's running rough but mighty fast. Needs new plugs hopefully before the Lakes and Isle of Man. I like spending hours cleaning but the engine bay took less than one minute which is a credit to Richard. Amazing everywhere.

Attachments

• 20230824_145050.jpg
    20230824_145050.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 12